Tears in clothing

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Tears in clothing

Postby MatCreator » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:35 pm

Hello all. I got off on a good start, was doing ok making stuff and had to step back to fix my system (had to flush hdds). getting back into the swing of things and just having figured out how to use the "delete group" to hide body parts under the clothing mesh, im getting new problems of course and need some help and advice.

i had to start from scratch, so im just on the bodysuit for now. my first attempts i noticed some type of "fragmenting", or jaggedness that would appear on the mesh. just for future knowledge, is there some type of known issue with normals when going between outside 3d programs, blender and makehuman?!? it seemed changing the uv mapping alleviates those problems, but i want to be aware of what to look out for, while i changed the mapping, didnt seem like anything was wrong with it in the first place.

and my second question is what can we do in the modeling side to avoid tears in the cloth when the figure is posed?
Attachments
tearinbodysuit.jpg
MatCreator

Re: Tears in clothing

Postby punkduck » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:06 pm

MatCreator wrote:Hello all. I got off on a good start, was doing ok making stuff and had to step back to fix my system (had to flush hdds). getting back into the swing of things and just having figured out how to use the "delete group" to hide body parts under the clothing mesh, im getting new problems of course and need some help and advice.

i had to start from scratch, so im just on the bodysuit for now. my first attempts i noticed some type of "fragmenting", or jaggedness that would appear on the mesh. just for future knowledge, is there some type of known issue with normals when going between outside 3d programs, blender and makehuman?!? it seemed changing the uv mapping alleviates those problems, but i want to be aware of what to look out for, while i changed the mapping, didnt seem like anything was wrong with it in the first place.

and my second question is what can we do in the modeling side to avoid tears in the cloth when the figure is posed?

Well in blender you should of course recalculate the normals in then end. When you e.g. mirror parts of the mesh they always need to be recalculated etc. Sometimes it is necessary to show the normals and check them manually in blender (especially for hair-meshes). But in case of a bodysuit it is a "closed mesh" and therefore normals can be automatically recalculated.

So yes normals can result in artifacts. Because you can see the backside of a piece of cloth in MakeHuman. But there is a method to check if it is wrong in your case. Use the material editor in MakeHuman and toggle "backface culling". This is made especially for one-layer meshes (like a skirt or hair) but you can also check if a closed mesh has bugs. If the effect goes away it was a face presented it a different direction. UV mapping cannot change btw. the values are simply constant coordinates in a 2d plane. But the effect of a backface looks similar to your example. Proof is, when you export it to blender again, they are still in place ;)

About modeling limits you can check the documents, the limits of intersection + delete group you will find here. Some rules of thumb are mentioned:
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/Documentation:MakeClothes_Delete-Groups

When you really have problems that e.g a vertex follows the wrong part (leg in your case), you can assign more than one vertex group. Here is an example about sleeves and arms:
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/Documentation:MakeClothes_Vertex-Groups

Also check the mesh when posed and use wireframe-mode in MakeHuman.
punkduck

Postby MatCreator » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:51 pm

Thanks for responding, greatly appreciated...

i only "just" started using blender so i could use makecloth2, so my knowledge is beyond lacking. how would i recalculate normals in blender? ive been using zbrush and 3dcoat to make my items in, so as far as normals, those are set on the way out, and usually there arent any issues. but i did notice smoothing the models uv helps with the jaggedness that appears, i wouldnt say it fixes the problem. is this happening because my items use a normal map?

admittedly i struggled with the delete group aspect. it was difficult to read -AND- apply what was discussed and translate it into "how do i do this in blender", because again, im inexperienced. i may have created intersections?!? and im also just as terrible with the assigning vertex groups aspect of the workflow. will read up on that sleeve/arm bit and practice more....

i had another go at it earlier (after my post and before your response) and started from scratch. significantly less jaggedness, and the only thing i can think to attribute that too was that the later version had a "smoother" mesh and better poly layout? other than that, i dont know. i used the same texture and normal maps... the cleaner mesh has no holes or tearing.
Attachments
grab_2021-04-26_09.13.42.png
MatCreator

Postby MatCreator » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:55 pm

another thing i noticed...

i use the makeskin plugin to make the material for the clothing item. i set it to use a dsiplacement map, but the actual texture editor in blender doesnt have an area where i can apply the displacement map? does makehuman use them, or is that a blender only feature for when the makehuman figure is sent to blender from the makehuman plugin?

also.......... you mentioned using the material editor in makehuman?!?!?!? where is this feature? i cant find it
MatCreator

Postby MatCreator » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:50 pm

sorry for being a pita =/

instead of starting from scratch, am i able to load>edit>resave clothing items? i see blender gives the option to import a clothing item, but it seems to remove the group and delete group assignments set when originally saved.
MatCreator

Return to Newbies