Override "Hide faces under clothes" for some clothes.

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Override "Hide faces under clothes" for some clothes.

Postby DrHell » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:12 pm

Good evening.

The question is simple: is there a way to override the "hide faces under clothes" option only for some piece of clothes?
For example: I want the option generally enabled, but when alpha transparency (particularly 100%) is involved in the diffuse texture of a specific piece of clothes, I want to disable the option only for that single piece of clothes (even manually changing the .mhmat file, that is not a problem at all).

Thanks.
DrHell

Re: Override "Hide faces under clothes" for some clothes.

Postby joepal » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:44 am

That is actually a pretty good idea, although I'm suspecting it will not be all that easy to implement.

I've added a feature request issue here: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/m ... issues/145
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby DrHell » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:12 am

Yes, between the other things, it makes minor changes to a clothe a breeze (I want a hole in that spandex dress where supergirl was hit by a bazooka? Open GIMP draw it, make it 100% transparent, darken the contours so that the hole looks burned, done; which, as far as I can tell, is tens of times faster than messing with the 3d mesh and then again with the texture).

Of course, we can do that even now, but the price to pay is to disable the "hide faces" option for every single piece of clothe.
DrHell

Postby MTKnife » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Can't you accomplish that now simply by removing the transparent area from the Delete Group? The issue, I suppose, is that the Delete Group won't line up perfectly with the borders of the hole. Mind you, that's only a problem if you're working with a part of the clothing where some of the lower layer's vertices would be outside the upper layer--and if the inner layer is always inside the outer layer, you don't need the "Hide" option (or the Delete Group) in the first place.

In other words, I think the real problem (or at least, a real problem) may be that you need to move part of the lower object, not just display it, because clothes underneath other clothes typically get compressed (heck, even flesh under clothes often gets compressed). A couple of years ago, I tried to figure out a way to do this, and I think it's doable in principle, but it struck me as being too complicated to be worth the effort.
MTKnife

Return to Newbies