Problem creating importing a pose from Blender

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Problem creating importing a pose from Blender

Postby Beric » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:06 am

I started using Makehuman yesterday and I wanted to create my own poses. I followed the steps I found in one post in this forum:

- import an already made pose with default skeleton using the Blender plug-in
- modify it
- save the file as .bvh with just 1 frame
- move the file to the pose folder

But when I used the pose, it was not the same I was created in Blender. It was kind of similar, but with several huge differences. Anybody has found the same problem?

I have added the .stl file of the two different poses I get. I tried to upload also the .bvh, but I couldn´t.
Attachments
blender.obj
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 323 times
makehuman.obj
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 348 times
Beric

Re: Problem creating importing a pose from Blender

Postby joepal » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:01 pm

You cannot modify a pose this way. There are some serious mathematics reasons for this (which, honestly, is partly beyond me). In summary, when you import a pre-posed character, the entire pose gets applied as the rest pose. This means bone rotations and bone rolls are applied and set to zero. Thus if you rotate a limb and save a BVH, only that particular rotation will be considered different from the rest pose. If you then use the BVH in MH, then the same rotation will be applied but starting at the default pose. Which will cause random results.

Unfortunately, there is currently no good way to import a pose non-destructively into blender. So all poses will have to be created from scratch, based on the default pose.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Beric » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Thanks for the answer.

In fact this is not a problem, I was using a similar pose to save a bit of time, but it starting from the default should not be much more work.

When you say the default pose, you mean the one labeld as "None" in Makehuman, right? At first I thought you meant the Tpose.
Beric

Postby joepal » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:25 pm

The default pose in MH is an A-pose, which indeed is labeled "none".
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Newbies