MakeHuman won't lunch on Mac high seira

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

MakeHuman won't lunch on Mac high seira

Postby Theoisomno » Wed May 27, 2020 2:36 am

Whenever I try to open the application, it just says,"The application “MakeHuman” can’t be opened." and thats it, doesn't say why or how or anything. does anyone have a guess?
Theoisomno

Re: MakeHuman won't lunch on Mac high seira

Postby RobBaer » Wed May 27, 2020 1:42 pm

Not certain, and I am not a regular Mac user, but I have run MH on a Mac under both High Sierra and Catalina, so it should be possible. There is little mileage in running MH 1.1.1 at this point, so you will probably want to be running the 1.2.x version.
All what follows below may sound daunting if you have limited programming experience, but it is not as hard as it sounds, and you should be glad of the results once completed. You only need to all this one time.

Because there is no Mac build, you will need to run from source. My recollection is that the Macintosh built-in python is not necessarily up to the task of running MH, but my OS has been upgraded many times since I first ran MH on it so that may be no longer true. I'm pretty sure I had to install XCode which was not on my machine.

The current MakeHuman source is based on Python 3 and is mostly tested with python 3.7 (I think during development), but checking my Mac, I'm running Anaconda python 3.6.8. You can check you version by starting terminal and typing "python" RETURN . Ctrll-z will get you back to the terminal prompt.

Here is a dependency list from the Wiki for 1.2.0 alpha 3 that should be a good starting place:
Python: 3.6.4 or higher
PyQt: 5.10.0 or higher
NumPy: 1.13.0 or higher
PyOpenGL: Any modern version will work, including the one used for MakeHuman 1.1.x

Then, you can download the source and run the latest and greatest with minimal pain. Ask questions if you need some clues about what all this means.
RobBaer

Postby RobBaer » Wed May 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Theoisomno wrote:Whenever I try to open the application, it just says,"The application “MakeHuman” can’t be opened." and thats it, doesn't say why or how or anything. does anyone have a guess?

So, my other answer is more what i REALLY think, but I'm wondering if this is a security thing. Some apps are "downloaded from internet and you have to go into System preferences > security and privacy >General and make sure that Allow apps downloaded from is set to "App store and identified developers". Even then you are asked to unpadlock things in the process of running an app. This could be a way off-course guess
RobBaer

Postby Aranuvir » Wed May 27, 2020 2:44 pm

IIRC Apple has dropped OpenGL support...
Aranuvir

Postby RobBaer » Wed May 27, 2020 3:18 pm

RobBaer wrote:Some apps are "downloaded from internet and you have to go into System preferences > security and privacy >General and make sure that Allow apps downloaded from is set to "App store and identified developers". Even then you are asked to unpadlock things in the process of running an app. This could be a way off-course guess

Because it was over a year since I tried anything MH-related on my (aging) Mac (Mac Book Pro Early 2013, Catalina 10.15.4, EDIT: now 10.15.5 because of this post :-)) , i just tried reinstalling MH 1.1.1 for Mac from the release on TuxFamily. It installed, but the Security override described above was absolutely necessary. I got a "Can't Run" message but if you read it, it explains that it is "security related" because it can't verify that MH is safe. Even with "App stoke and identified developers checked" you will need to go into that tab and ultimately supply a administrative password and then click "Run Anyway" After that it worked for me. You will probably also be asked to give permission for MH to access your documents folder which you should say yes to. Once you run MH the first time, it should restart without all this.

Still think you should move towards version 1.2.x from source. With community plugins and asset manager you will have a a much richer experience.
RobBaer

Return to Newbies