Some Questions as Newbie (missing Body Parts)

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Some Questions as Newbie (missing Body Parts)

Postby GerardDirks » Mon May 11, 2020 9:55 pm

Hello

I starting a couple of days ago and first I was very enthusiastic about MakeHuman but after a couple of tests, I am a little bit of disappointment.

The normal naked Body works fine. But with a lot of cloths, hairs, I got real problems. So when I make a body and then give it the "crudeswimsuite", the 3D generates a Figure without a torso!

Beause it costs me meters of Filament and moments of frustration, I found a workaround to look for such mistakes! With Preview of Apple you can rotate the whole .stl file and see if the design gives problems

In the Example you see the girl with clothes "cruideswimsuite" & hair "braid01". In MakeHuman everything looks fine
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-11 um 23.25.32.png

In Apples "Preview" you see the holes and missing parts in her body. The effective 3D Print looks the same as the Preview
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-11 um 23.27.14.png

Here a second complete Workflow!

Design of MakeHuman looks great, the clothes are "brandbikinibra" & "brandbikinislip" and the hair is "long01"
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-11 um 23.38.55.png

In Apples "Preview" you see the holes and missing parts in her body.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-11 um 23.41.17.png

Any Help to solve this problems? I habe no idea if the problem are caused by the clothes or the hair? Do a 3D Print without this 2 clothes an hairs gives a perfect result

Is their way to give the .stl a more realistic. The body gives a lot of blocks instead of a smooth body ?!?

Gérard
Last edited by GerardDirks on Wed May 13, 2020 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
GerardDirks

Re: Some Questions as Newbie (missing Body Parts)

Postby jwc » Tue May 12, 2020 12:21 am

MakeHuman by default removes the faces underneath clothing to prevent them from peeking through during image rendering.
You do not care about that for your prints, so there are a couple of things you can do.
[ I'm trying to remember the 1.1 options, so you may find these with slightly different names or locations ]

(1) in MakeHuman, Geometries, Clothes. uncheck the box Hide faces under clothes
The faces will no longer be hidden by default and will show up in the MakeHuman windows

or
(2) In Blender, during import, there was an option to show all faces instead of hiding them.
Enable this option and your faces will appear

or
(3) Also in Blender, the faces are hidden with a modifier. The faces are always there, so this modifier can be removed/disabled.
Do not apply the modifier, that will remove the faces.

These is also the option of merging the body with the clothing, this would produce a single mesh without gaps. I'm not familiar with the steps, but if you search for stl in the forum it should show up as an older discussion.

For the blocky-ness, there are some options to smooth or add more faces, that can also be applied during export from MakeHuman or import into Blender.
jwc

Postby GerardDirks » Tue May 12, 2020 7:23 am

THX @jwc

The Button "hide faces under clothes" seems to solve most of the problems. I will check it for all the combinations of clothes & hairs (and others)
is there a way to uncheck this button as default?

Further the Smooth-Button solve the problem with the resolution. Is there also a way to activate this as default?

Is there a problem using the XYZPrint software using the .stl files created by MakeHuman? Importing the .stl of MakeHuman always gives a prompt that the files needs to be repaired and resized.

Here is for me a misunderstanding of the usage of this software!
It would be nice if all the .stl would be based on the 1:1 size. In your software the size is given by the "height" of the 3D Model. In my opinion there should be an option to define the 3D Print size in (e.g. XYZPrinting) and tell the system I want to Print a 3D Model in the proportion 1:12 or 1:18. I check this in different programs and can't find this. In Cuda, Simplify3D or Slic3r.

I also have problems with adding different 3D Printer to the alternative Software on the market.
In Cuda I add the Printer but then the Print Button doesn't appear (only save as file). In Slic3r their is no Output at all. The XYZPrint is a basic tool but if you want to change the parameter, you muss manually change 3 dozens of settings, you can't save them as e.g. high-resolution 3D printing with PLA ?!?
GerardDirks

Postby loki1950 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:45 pm

There is a reason @jwc recommended blender makehuman interacts with it very well and it's .stl export is much more mature and you can do the scaling within it as well.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby GerardDirks » Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 pm

THX

The functionality of MakeHuman is really easy an I supposed it is OK for me. (3D Figures for RC-Models)
When I look to Blender I think I need to start a study a a university. Probably blender is really an overkill for me! I don't want to make animations of 3D figures!

I found another thread and replaced the "9_export_stl/mh2stl.py" file an now all my figures are OK. The Smooth Button is only one button so this shroud not be the problem to switch to an unknown program.
GerardDirks

Return to Newbies