Some Questions as Newbie (loading clothes)

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Some Questions as Newbie (loading clothes)

Postby GerardDirks » Thu May 07, 2020 1:05 pm

Hello

I am a Macintosh User and want to create some figures to 3D Print them and use for my RC Boats

The basic of MakeHuman works ok, I want to install a dozen of clothes to use them within MakeHuman
I follewed the Instruction as on the YouTube video find on http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... ll_them%3F

After creating a couple of new folders within ~/documents/makehuman/v1/data/clothes/
In each folder I put the 4 files ending with .mhclo .mhmat .obj & .thumb
After a new start the system isn't able to load or view the new cloths?

What is wrong here?

Gérard
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-07 um 15.03.06.png
Last edited by GerardDirks on Fri May 08, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
GerardDirks

Re: Some Questions as Newbie

Postby joepal » Thu May 07, 2020 2:27 pm

To me it looks reasonably correct. MakeHuman should have autocreated the hierarchy for you down to and including the clothes folder, the first time MH was started. Was this the case? Otherwise maybe this is the wrong directory on mac? I don't have a mac, so no way to check myself. Another potential location would be ~/makehuman.

On PC and Linux, you wouldn't do it like this way in the first place though. The normal approach would be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_pkb9IdeI. But I have no way of knowing if you'll be able to install those plugins on your machine.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Thu May 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Isn't it that html issue? Some browser are showing the tendency to add .html to all files they are downloading... @GeradDirks: can you check the type of the files?
BTW, I don't think the plugins are still compatible with the Mac version (it's 1.1.1).
Aranuvir

Postby jwc » Thu May 07, 2020 4:05 pm

The default OSX path for the latest version 1.2 is
~/Documents/MakeHuman/v1py3/data/clothes/...

If you are using the older 1.1 version, the path is
~/Documents/MakeHuman/v1/data/clothes/...

I don't see the .npz and .mhpxy files that are created when a piece of clothing is first selected so MakeHuman does not like something.

Do you see any error messages in the Utilities - Logs reports?

And Aranuvir is right, a direct download of the files from the repository can change the filetype to .html
Finder -- File -- Get Info will show if this happened.
jwc

Re: Some Questions as Newbie (loading clothes)

Postby GerardDirks » Fri May 08, 2020 7:37 am

Hello

@Aranuvir
As I downloaded it alle the files are ending on .txt & .png , I had to correct this manually

@jwc
I have installed the version 1.1.1, I working (playing) with it for a couple of days! I was't aware that their is a version 1.2.x for Mac ?!? I did a search to files (also hidden) with the ending .npz & .mhpxy but they are not on my computer. To be clear, I never create clothings with a program, I only want to install a couple of "clothes" extensions which I found on the download site of this forum!

I only want to create some "figures" of people so I can 3D Print them and place them on my RC Boats 8-)
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-08 um 09.35.13.png
GerardDirks

Postby GerardDirks » Fri May 08, 2020 8:00 am

I did a search with another program and found the .npz and .mhpxy for the "builtin" clothes

The original .npz and .mhpxy are stored on 2 places; 1) in the MakeHuman.app in the Application Folder and in the 2)

Where could I found these .npz and .mhpxy for the clothes I downloaded. Is there I way to download each sample as .zip?

also I have no idea where to download the texture of each clothes? do in need to install the .png in the same directory ?

Is this probably a problem of Catalina (10.15.4) and the APFS filing system of Apple. The Mac has 2 Volumes (Macintosh HD & Macintosh HD-Data) ?!?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-08 um 09.59.04.png
GerardDirks

Postby GerardDirks » Fri May 08, 2020 8:08 am

Here the folders I found with "clothes".

In my ~/Users/xyzabc/documents/MakeHuman/v1/data/clothes/ was only the empty clothes folder which I fill with all my downloads

Gérard
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-08 um 10.05.23.png
GerardDirks

Postby Aranuvir » Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 am

And here is the problem: in Unix-like operating systems the file type is only defined by its content (its magic number) not by the file extension. So, for example the thumbnail file is of type png but the extension for MakeHuman is .thumb (and not .png) so the application knows here is the thumbnail file and not the texture file. And the mhclo file is a pure text file but the file extension is mhclo to indicate its the cloth definition and not the material...

Or in short terms: delete all those .png and .txt extensions and it should work, provided your internet browser did not alter the file content itself (and the asset does not have errors). BTW, using Mozilla FF or, I think it was Chrome, should help you avoiding these problems in the future...
Aranuvir

Postby GerardDirks » Fri May 08, 2020 8:20 am

So on my picture in thread #1 you see that my entries are correct? What is the reason that they are not visible?

I tried it both on OS X 10.13.6 & 10.15.4, no new clothes are listed, only the standard builtin? Should I place them manually in the Content of the App itself) by opening it with Show Content and go to the correct subdirectories ?!?

I saw the new 1.2 has an Assent Downloader builtin, this would be great! @jwc told about 1.2 for Mac? Is this Version withdraw for Mac ?!?
GerardDirks

Postby Aranuvir » Fri May 08, 2020 8:38 am

Can you check that your file browser does not hide common file extensions? And, as I told you, you could try to redownload with an alternative internet browser. Currently there are no Mac users among the developers, so we cannot build for Mac. But running from source code isn't that complicated, if you want to try the latest version...
Aranuvir

Next

Return to Newbies