Legal Question

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Legal Question

Postby J_S_M » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi first time posting but i have a puzzling legal question. For Example, say i have a public domain model or a own model made by me, lets call this (A) would it be acceptable to edit it so it would better shaped using Model (B) as a base such as laying (A) over (B) and editing the (A), see example in video file that i have uploaded (A) is RED (B) is GREY

if it is then can Model (A) be uploaded to makehuman assets and then be used by other people i ask because the FAQS cant have foreseen this type of question, to further reiterate only the vertices, faces and edges, and textures of model (A) would be uploaded NOT model (B) which was used as a base and it has a different copyright.

i didn't see anything like this answered in the faqs and i am a beginner using makehuman and blender so forgive me i don't know a lot of both functions and ethics of editing 3d models and asset creation and legal requirements :roll:
Attachments
Help .mp4
Example need to further explain Question
(933.31 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
J_S_M

Re: Legal Question

Postby RobBaer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:10 pm

This would be a murky area. This forum will not produce legal advice for you. This is best done by a legal expert. As a broad answer to your question, I would say that anything you could argue in court is an "original work" is legal. Laws in different countries can vary substantially on this issue. Issues like fan-art also muddy the waters, so giving advice belongs to those with expertise to do so. Do movie stars own their own likeness? Not easy to answer in an [international especially] legal sense.

If there is any question that a work is not original, we probably would not want it uploaded to the community assets without a license from an "owning or party-with-interest" that permits this use. Use good sense, avoid edge-cases. Check licenses on assets you copy from. Ask/get permission to use when in doubt.
RobBaer

Return to Newbies