Can I have an extremely simplified walkthrough?

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Can I have an extremely simplified walkthrough?

Postby BaronVonGott » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:39 pm

I keep having problems with Makehuman. I'm about to uninstall it for the 3rd time to try to get it to run properly. Can someone explain where everything is supposed to go, and where should I install Makehuman? I need an extremely easy walkthrough. As if you were explaining how to operate the DVD player to your elderly grandfather. I know nothing about computers. I had to ask Elv how to make a .zip a file the other day. I put all my new clothing in one folder instead of multiple so I can use more textures. Vader helmet black works well as nail polish or leather for example. Maybe that's what I did wrong. Most skin and clothing doesn't work. Some does, but around half of it doesn't.
"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BaronVonGott

Re: Can I have an extremely simplified walkthrough?

Postby naflatem » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi Baron,
it seems that your problem has to do with the .mhmat file. Some assets posted here have a file path that needs to be edited.
As an example the hulk skin.
The .mhmat file has a line for the diffuse texture:
diffuseTexture ../textures/hulk_male_diffuse.png
Assuming hulk_male.mhmat and hulk_male_diffuse.png (the texture file) are both in the same folder:
...v1\data\skins
you need to change the line with the diffuse texture in the .mhmat file to:
diffuseTexture hulk_male_diffuse.png
Now makehuman can find the texture file.
The .mhmat file is a text file that can be editted with Editor (if you use Windows)
Open the file and change the text line. Then it should work.
Good luck!
naflatem
naflatem

Postby BaronVonGott » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:06 pm

That's what I'm not understanding. I have all the skins and textures in the same folder. I'm looking at Hulk now, and it says: "hulk_male.mhmat, hulk_male, and hulk_male_diffuse" It's already been renamed, right? A forsaken blue bones has less textures, but it works ok. It kind of looks like corpse skin.
"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BaronVonGott

Postby naflatem » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:20 pm

you have to change the hulk_male.mhmat file itself.
Click on the file, right click and open it with the Editor.
Go to the text line
diffuseTexture ../textures/hulk_male_diffuse.png
Change it to
diffuseTexture hulk_male_diffuse.png
Save the file.
Give it now another try.
naflatem

Postby BaronVonGott » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:28 pm

Ok, which one is the editor? It says: "Edit with photos, Edit with Paint 3D, Edit" (which also opens paint), and under the Open with tab, it says: "Internet Explorer, Paint, Paint 3D, Photos, SketchBook, and Search the store, or Choose another app". I can't search the store, my laptop is entirely offline. The only internet I have is this phone.
BaronVonGott

Postby naflatem » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Ok. What program do you use to open simple text files?
If you have Windows you should have the program "Editor" installed.
naflatem

Postby BaronVonGott » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:53 pm

Text files is usually notepad or PDF. I don't think I have a program called "editor". My friend and his son helped me get rid of a lot of programs I don't use to save space for games and movies. Does it come standard with Windows? They probably didn't mess with it if it's part of the computer itself, but I had them delete stuff like Candy Crush and Snapchat because I'll never use that stuff.
BaronVonGott

Postby naflatem » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:02 pm

Well, try to open the .mhmat file with notepad and edit the line as described above.
naflatem

Postby BaronVonGott » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:16 pm

I opened the PNG texture to rename it, but I think it's encoded or something. There's a lot of letters not from any actual language. Just squiggles and lines. A lot of this: []~£f
BaronVonGott

Postby naflatem » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:18 pm

You need to open the hulk_male.mhmat file not the hulk_male_diffuse.png
naflatem

Next

Return to Newbies