Using exact dimensions for hands and other body parts

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Using exact dimensions for hands and other body parts

Postby corsecprops » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Make human does a good job of approximating the human form from measurements but I need more points. I want to use dimensions for areas like the head, hands, and feet. I don't see options under measure. I'd like to get as close as possible in those areas because I plan to use this as a way to model a real human in software like Fusion 360. I can then design armor and other items onto the form for 3D printing and other pattern work. I can play with the sliders but I need something more precise and would rather do it in make human rather than trying to adjust it in Fusion. Is this possible with a plugin or other method?
corsecprops

Re: Using exact dimensions for hands and other body parts

Postby loki1950 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:50 pm

The internal method we use to modify the base mesh is parametric and the parameters all have values between 0-1 therefore no real world dimensions are used so getting those measurements into MH is just not mathematically possible the measurement tab does calculations on the resultant mesh and skips the parameters involved.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:44 am

corsecprops wrote:Make human does a good job of approximating the human form from measurements but I need more points. I want to use dimensions for areas like the head, hands, and feet. I don't see options under measure. I'd like to get as close as possible in those areas because I plan to use this as a way to model a real human in software like Fusion 360. I can then design armor and other items onto the form for 3D printing and other pattern work. I can play with the sliders but I need something more precise and would rather do it in make human rather than trying to adjust it in Fusion. Is this possible with a plugin or other method?

Since each target just moves each vertex along a straight line between the starting position and the end position, the setting for the target is just the fraction of the distance along that line you want the vertex to move, so pretty trivial to calculate. So if you have a set of targets that do what you want, and the issue is just that you need to set their values precisely, then it is straight forward. This assumes that you can define your measurements in terms of the positions of vertex points, getting things like circumference are more complicated.
blindsaypatten

Postby EnterTheWhatever » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Sorry for necroing this topic, but I am still amazed it poses such a challenge to incorporate and implement real measurement input for the models. Was messing around with Daz Studio and the Figure Metric option for which I paid around 50$. The problem there was the lack of morphs and the fitting from hell which ran into nowhere on constant basis. I hope I get my refund from them. Considering were living in the 21st century with AI taking over soon, this topic is still a shame for the human race.
EnterTheWhatever

Postby RobBaer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:58 am

I'l start with the admission that I haven't the slightest idea what would be involved in implementing this type of algorithm, but implementing something useful doesn't seem completely impossible with the right approach. Figuring out how one might implement something useful, though, starts with finding the appropriate algorithm.

When i read this type of interest, I always finding myself thinking about the measures that are available for the modeling measure tab. Do they miss the mark of what is being requested? How?

It is fine to say, I wish we had real world measures, but there are an infinite number of coordinate systems and measures that could be envisioned. What are the ones that would matter to users? What are the various applications where they would be useful? Is this for clothing design? For doing anthropomorphic reconstruction? Something else? Are there a common set of minimal requirements that will satisfy multiple use cases?

OP: "I am still amazed it poses such a challenge to incorporate and implement real measurement input for the models"
So what are you thinking here in terms of it being easy? Providing linear lengths or body circumferences at specified locations on a morph you make? Or would you need/want 3D volumes as well? Where on the body? What would your reference system look like?
Picturing what is being requested is more difficult for me than the simplicity implied in this statement. It would be useful to have a DETAILED description of the request to even search for usable implementation designs.

To leave a "specific question" to use a backdrop, how does what you request differ from "model | measure" capability?
RobBaer

Return to Newbies