How recreate texture file after posing the clothed model

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

How recreate texture file after posing the clothed model

Postby agedperson » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:14 pm

I asked this question in a Blender forum but I've realized that MakeHuman does what I'm trying to do myself in Blender.
In Blender I can uv the clothing and apply textures to a standard A-posed human and create a .png texture file. What I can't get my head around is, when I subsequently change the pose of the model, the .png file no longer "fits" the new pose. Blender/MakeHuman seems to be able to handle clothing repositioning when creating new MakeHuman poses since no uv'ing is required (you simply download a clothed character to Blender from MakeHuman, set up the new pose and send it back to MakeHuman. The clothes still fit!). I'm trying to export my character to a program that requires a .png that matches the pose and, because of other requirements, I have to do everything in Blender. I'm not skilled enough to manually texture a contorted figure so I'm hoping someone can explain how Blender/MakeHuman accomplishes it.
agedperson

Re: How recreate texture file after posing the clothed model

Postby joepal » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:05 pm

You are doing something very, very odd if the UV changes if/when you pose a figure. Probably you made a mistake in the UV unwrap on the mesh and/or you apply texures in object or generated coordinates, in which case it will definitely get messed up if you deform the object.

MH simply exports a mesh with a UV mapping. The UV mapping is the same independent of pose. But that's not a MakeHuman thing, that just the normal thing to do.

If you post your node setup for the material, we can probably suggest what you need to do to get the textures to behave as expected.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: How recreate texture file after posing the clothed model

Postby agedperson » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm not in the least bit surprised that I'm probably doing something wrong somewhere. Now that I know that the .png texture file is good no matter what kind of pose I end up with I can stop trying to fiddle around with that aspect of creating a character for a 3rd party program. Thank you, Joel.
agedperson

Return to Newbies