Having problems with assets and plugins

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Having problems with assets and plugins

Postby cybrmagi » Fri May 04, 2018 11:33 am

just to let you know my learning curve,I am a total noob to makehuman, however I use to use poser and 3ds max back in the mid 90's much the way I intend to use makehuman and blender now.

I have searched the faqs and documentation and though the answer to my questions may be, and probably are in there somewhere, I can't find them. So someone may be able to just point me to the info I need.

I am using makehuman 1.1.1 running under windows xp (hey I am 53 years old and I like windows xp, besides I put too much money into my computer to be willing to let it go.)

So I downloaded some assets and could not figure out where to put the files nor any instructions on how to do so. So I found some info about using the asset down-loader plug-in, and also like most of the plugins on the site, so I downloaded the plug in pack and followed the instructions in the read me file. I stared up makehuman and went to the plugins tab in settings and though some of the plug ins showed up, the asset down-loader did not.

Also I have had no problem installing and using the addins and assets from this site in blender.

So if someone could either point me to the faq or doc location, or help me figure this out it would be much appreciated. I am feeling like a total idiot since usually I can figure this kind of stuff out on my own. Maybe it is my age and/or how long it has been since I worked with any 3d software but I am stuck so HELP.

Oh, and feel free to be sarcastic, I won't be offended. This should be simple and most likely is so fire away.
cybrmagi

Re: Having problems with assets and plugins

Postby loki1950 » Fri May 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Yeah an other old fogie ;) any assets you download/create go to the makehuman folder that is created in My Documents on Windows in full path form C:My Documents\makehuman\v1\data\clothes the last one will change if the asset is not a clothing item.Now setting up the community assets plug-in is a bit trickier as there two plugin involved 1_mhapi and 8_community_assets they go to the plugins folder of the program's installation folder (where your extracted the zip file to ) if it's not working just post the the makehuman.log file in C:My Documents\makehuman\v1 that should tell us exactly what is happening on your install(it over-writes every time you run the app) for our Docs & FAC the link is part header here on the forum.The easiest way to install blender plugins is to use install from file option in blender's User Preferences window again any problems just post here on the forum we don't bite that much :mrgreen: we where all beginners once.Welcome to the community.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby joepal » Fri May 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Re-reading the FAQ section on plugins (http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... tall_it%3F), I can understand why you're having problems. That really should be thoroughly rewritten and decorated with screenshots.

After you unzipped makehuman to somewhere (let's say on the desktop), you should have gotten a directory called "makehuman" (or something similar). Inside that, there should be a directory called "plugins". In that directory you should see subdirectories called things like "9_export_fbx". Ignore the files with similar names.

The goal now is to copy the plugins here so that they look the same as the other plugin directories.

For the asset downloader you need two things: the asset downloader plugin in itself (https://github.com/makehumancommunity/c ... etdownload) and MHAPI (https://github.com/makehumancommunity/c ... gins-mhapi).

As you can see by following the links, they have directories called "8_asset_downloader" and "1_mhapi". When you download the plugins as zips from github, and then extract them somewhere, you get more stuff which isn't relevant.

So what you need to do is copy 8_asset_downloader and 1_mhapi from where you extracted those zips into the directory called "plugins" mentioned above. You should copy the directories as such, so that there is for example a directory ..../plugins/1_mhapi.

If it still does not work, send us a log, see http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _report%3F
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby wolgade » Fri May 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Community plugins is a bit of a mess right now. I regularly end up with some outdated stuff, just because some plugins exist in several repos. Of course, I'll take the outdated one. Oh, I forgot: You won't find help in the wiki. After getting upset about this just an hour ago, I decided to change this. I added a few lines to http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/MakeHuman_resources. Consider this as a start. I was just sick and tired of searching the whole forum whenever I look for these plugins.
wolgade

Postby cybrmagi » Sat May 05, 2018 2:15 am

Ok, I figured out what went wrong with the plugins, for some reason 7 zip created the sub-directories for the plugins but dumped the files outside of them strait into the plugins folder. So with a little creative deleting and recopying I got that all worked out and the plugins work fine, 'sept it takes a little longer for makehuman to come up now.

So last question, Ô¿Ô um, where do I put the Flaccid Penis accessory? I mean its not clothing.
cybrmagi

Postby RobBaer » Sat May 05, 2018 10:09 am

cybrmagi wrote:So last question, Ô¿Ô um, where do I put the Flaccid Penis accessory? I mean its not clothing.

Not to avoid a direct answer to your question ..., but the "preferred way" to handle penis and vagina work is by using the special proxy topologies designed for that purpose rather than the Flaccid penis accessory which is "deprecated".
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/proxies.html

On Windows these go in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\makehuman\v1\data\proxymeshes ; On Linux and MacOS it's ~/makehuman\v1\data\proxymeshes, I think.
RobBaer

Postby Elvaerwyn » Sat May 05, 2018 10:34 am

RobBaer wrote:
cybrmagi wrote:So last question, Ô¿Ô um, where do I put the Flaccid Penis accessory? I mean its not clothing.

Not to avoid a direct answer to your question ..., but the "preferred way" to handle penis and vagina work is by using the special proxy topologies designed for that purpose rather than the Flaccid penis accessory which is "depricated".
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/proxies.html

On Windows these go in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\makehuman\v1\data\proxymeshes ; On Linux and MacOS it's ~/makehuman\v1\data\proxymeshes, I think.

Happy to reply directly to deprecated* lol! Some like it deprecated as per say...as in this particular asset is intended in no ways to replace proximeshes rather than work alongside bodies that don't include a traditional genitalia in the build, such as males with custom *saddle* bodies existing in such worlds as opensim and sl. This being said, it works as a clothing item not a body part- and as such is something that can be taken off and put on as desired in these worlds.(also some of us like it flaccid from time to time *chuckle* rather than hanging down in an unnatural fashion for relaxation and such-but I digress).
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby RobBaer » Sat May 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Elvaerwyn wrote:... deprecated* lol! Some like it deprecated ... (also some of us like it flaccid from time to time *chuckle* ...

LOL! :oops: I did't mean flaccid was deprecated :D -- Especially during business hours ...

... Only that Makehuman's [ Model | Gender | Genital ] mode is designed to work with proxy topologies in the most recent versions. In older MH versions it worked with stick on genitals
|
RobBaer

Postby cybrmagi » Sun May 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks, I appreciate (not depreciate ~chuckles~) all the help.
cybrmagi

Return to Newbies