Import Export problem

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Import Export problem

Postby LeonardoParadox » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:05 am

EditMode.png
ObjectMode.png
Object Mode
I exported a .fbx file from MakeHuman and when I imported into Blender it is tiny. But thats not the main problem. When I go into edit mode the model flips on its face and then when I return to object mode it goes upright again.The first one is Edit modeThe next one is Object mode

How do I get it to stay upright when changing modes?
LeonardoParadox

Re: Import Export problem

Postby RobBaer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:00 pm

This is a known issue (for at least 2 years but probably looking at the bug tracker 3 years or more, i.e., predating MH 1.1.0). MakeHuman uses the y-up orientation for its meshes, but blender uses the z-up orientation for its meshes. This the orientation must be translated on export/import. MH stores this information in the FBX file. Blender needs to respond to it. It seems that Blender "fixes" the mesh orientation but not the skeleton orientation during import.

That said, the problem seems likely to be a Blender importer problem not an MH exporter problem. [Look at http://bugtracker.makehumancommunity.org/issues/967 if you want to see some history]. Back at Blender 2.75, 2.76 and 2.77 era, Blender did not handle the importing consistently across versions.

Luckily, you have other export options. Without installing anything you can try using the .dae export option which Blender supports for import. If you want a better solution, install the .mhx2 plugin [https://bitbucket.org/Diffeomorphic/mhx2-makehuman-exchange] which offers many benefits in transfer to Blender.

My memory is that the scaling issue might be an MH problem, but it has been a while since I looked. I have let testing of FBX issues lapse for some time to look at other things, but if you discover good fbx workarounds, please share back.
RobBaer

Re: Import Export problem

Postby DarkShroom » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:18 am

i had this problem also and google leads here so:

import FBX in blender, use "manual orientation" y forward, z up

you will have now the bones and the edit mode looking correct, but the character on the floor

go to pose mode, rotate the master bone by -90 degrees X (on the global axis)

character should now be facing -Y (still though i haven't sorted the master bone at the bottom not poking backwards)
DarkShroom

Return to Newbies