How do I make Clothing contour to skin?

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

How do I make Clothing contour to skin?

Postby maliyana » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 am

A character I'm making has a very unusual body type, and when I put them in clothing made in makeclothes, their skin clips through the clothes. I tried to make the skin that clips through hidden, but it looks weird. I feel as if my best option is to make the clothes trace the body perfectly, but how would I accomplish this?
maliyana

Re: How do I make Clothing contour to skin?

Postby RobBaer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:41 pm

maliyana wrote:A character I'm making has a very unusual body type, and when I put them in clothing made in makeclothes, their skin clips through the clothes. I tried to make the skin that clips through hidden, but it looks weird. I feel as if my best option is to make the clothes trace the body perfectly, but how would I accomplish this?

The obvious way make clothing the shape of your character is to start your clothing by copying the character itself. Don't forget to check the clothing button for your copy.

You should also check the MakeClothes documentation if you have not already read it, and read the part about Delete groups. http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... on:Clothes
RobBaer

Postby blindsaypatten » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 pm

maliyana wrote:A character I'm making has a very unusual body type, and when I put them in clothing made in makeclothes, their skin clips through the clothes. I tried to make the skin that clips through hidden, but it looks weird. I feel as if my best option is to make the clothes trace the body perfectly, but how would I accomplish this?

What do you mean by "but it looks weird"? Knowing the exact problem may help with coming up with the solution.

It's definitely not the recommended way, but if you really want the clothing to trace the body perfectly you can "paint" the clothing directly onto the body by incorporating it onto the skin/texture/material file you use. For a solid color it's quite easy, if it is fancier then you have to deal with the necessarily distorted UV map skin.
blindsaypatten

Postby wolgade » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:50 pm

maliyana wrote:I feel as if my best option is to make the clothes trace the body perfectly, but how would I accomplish this?

Common mistake. Even if you duplicate parts of the human mesh for your proxy, the vertices of your proxy won't follow the corresponding human vertices. They'll follow triangles consisting of three close human vertices.
wolgade

Postby jujube » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:04 pm

A good way to do this would be to use the upcoming "save targets" makehuman addon to make a target of your character. https://github.com/makehumancommunity/m ... ve_targets

Then you can use that to load your character into MakeTarget in Blender.
jujube

Return to Newbies