Mhm not saving custom targets

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Mhm not saving custom targets

Postby Jnjngfvgf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:32 am

So I've made a couple custom target shapes, but when I save the makehuman file and reopen the custom morphs they aren't loaded with it. I'm not sure if this is normal but is there a fix for this?
Jnjngfvgf

Re: Mhm not saving custom targets

Postby RobBaer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:40 am

This should not be the case. Custom targets should save and restore properly.

Let me clarify what you did.

1. Are the targets saved in your C:\Users\%USER%\Documents\makehuman\v1\data\custom folder as .target files?
2. Can you apply them at first, but they do not stay applied when you save and reopen?
3. Or, do you not see them in the first place?
and just to be sure
4. You saved and reopened on the same computer the targets were installed on? And the targets show up on the custom tab where you can re-apply them even they did not show up after a save and load?

What version of MH are you using and what OS?
RobBaer

Postby Jnjngfvgf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:38 am

2. Can you apply them at first, but they do not stay applied when you save and reopen?

Yes I am saving the custom targets to the C:\Users\%USER%\Documents\makehuman\v1\data\custom folder the default destination. I'm able to create and use the custom targets, I just don't seem to be able to see them loaded on the model when I reopen the makehuman save file. I still have access to them. I just would like to be able to make character modifications without having to start over and eyeball the appearance every time with the sliders for changes as the character will look pretty different each time.

I am using the makehuman-1.1.1-beta1-win32 zip file version, and I'm on windows 10 64-bit computer.
Jnjngfvgf

Postby Jnjngfvgf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:00 am

So I found the solution. If the file name is too long or descriptive it wont be reloaded when you reopen the makehuman file. I had no idea something like that has an actual impact on the load. glad it was a simple fix.
Jnjngfvgf

Postby RobBaer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Jnjngfvgf wrote:So I found the solution. If the file name is too long or descriptive it wont be reloaded when you reopen the makehuman file. I had no idea something like that has an actual impact on the load. glad it was a simple fix.

First, glad things are working.

It sounds like an undocumented problem that the file name length makes a difference. Windows used to have a maximum PATH length of 260 characters, but I think they changed that with Windows 10. Which Windows are you on? Could you give us an example of a name that fails and a replacement that makes it start working?

Even better, could you provide a full path for a target file that fails and its working equivalent?
RobBaer

Postby jujube » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:24 pm

I've been having the same problem too, good to know that's how you fix it. Tried the fix just now:

Non working path:
C:\Users\[name]\Documents\makehuman\v1\data\custom\a eyelid smoothen3.target

Working path:
C:\Users\[name]\Documents\makehuman\v1\data\custom\eyelidsmooth.target
jujube

Postby RobBaer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks for the example jujube.

I'm wondering if the problem is really the embedded spaces in your file name rather than length? What happens if you use underscores as in: a_eyelid_smoothen3.target ?

Spaces in names are common problems in many applications. Occasionally, putting quotations around file names that contain spaces works as well as using the underscore. Not sure if that will work for you here.
RobBaer

Postby jujube » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:59 pm

That fixes it too!
jujube

Return to Newbies