MakeClothes & backpacks

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

MakeClothes & backpacks

Postby Frogt » Fri May 27, 2016 9:55 am

I'm creating a character using MakeHuman & MakeClothes, and would like to add a backpack/rucksack to the character. Would using MakeClothes be an appropriate way to create the backpack, or would this kind of character addition be best handled in Blender after character creation?

Thanks.
Frogt

Re: MakeClothes & backpacks

Postby Aranuvir » Fri May 27, 2016 10:24 am

Best way to find this out, give it a try. What I would do in your case: For the "pack" itself create a special vertex group where the name begins with a ' * ' On the backpack side it contains all the vertices of the bag and on the human model side it contains only three (! this is important !) vertices, in form of an isosceles triangle on the human back. For the belt of the backpack use normal vertex groups.
Aranuvir

Postby Frogt » Fri May 27, 2016 10:47 am

Interesting, I'll give it a go and report back. The only aspect I'm not clear about is how the backpack ' * ' vertex group could contain vertices for both the bag and the three vertices on the back of the human model - when I use MakeHuman the clothes and the human model have been separate objects (and vertex groups can only apply to single objects - but I am a newbie so could be wrong!).
Frogt

Postby Aranuvir » Fri May 27, 2016 11:09 am

In general makeclothes uses vertex groups with the same name on the human model and the object to associate each other. E.g. if you want to create a ring for the left hand, just add a torus, scale and pose it to the desired finger. Then create one vertex group called ring and add all vertices of the torus. Next go to the human model and delete all vertex groups, you don't need them. Select one edge loop of the finger close to the ring (best the ring is posed over this edge loop) and create a vertex group for this edge loop, which is called ring, too. (I think the script is case sensitive, so be careful with the naming). Of course you can have more vertex groups, but they must be on both your modelled object and the human, with the same(!) name. The only exception is for the delete group on the human which will feed the mask modifier. Vertex groups with '*groupname' should only scale in size, but there should be no further deformation, like it is needed for clothing. I'm not sure if this works for your backpack.
Aranuvir

Postby Frogt » Fri May 27, 2016 11:13 am

Make sense - thanks for explaining. Will try give it a try and post some screenshots.
Frogt

Postby Aranuvir » Fri May 27, 2016 11:47 am

good luck!
Aranuvir

Postby Frogt » Sat May 28, 2016 11:34 am

And here it is:

back.PNG

front.PNG

The straps are slightly oversized to accommodate thicker clothing such as outdoor jackets. Deformations work well - the upper arm have slightly too much influence on the straps, for example when raising arms too high - although this can be easily overcome with some weight painting in Blender.

I've added it to the User Contributions section here - http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... kpack.html - any feedback would be most welcome!
Frogt

Return to Newbies