Black rendering results

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Black rendering results

Postby raibuntu » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:42 pm

Hello,

I have installed MH 0.9.1 with wine and it works really well :-)
I also installed aqsis 1.4.2 (in wine) and I can start the rendering via MH

But I only get black images :-(

Where can I do the setting for lights and other parameters?

May someone point me to the right direction

Thanks and kind regards

Rai

(Ubuntu 8.10)
raibuntu

Re: Black rendering results

Postby renderguy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Rai,

The problem is due to MH 0.9.1 using backslashes (\) when specifying file paths within the exported RIB... this is treated as an "Escape" character (RISpec), so would require either a double-backslash (\\) or a forwardslash (/).

Speaking with the MH project lead, this has been corrected in MH 1.0:

http://sites.google.com/site/makehumandocs/download

I'd also recommend using the latest version of Aqsis (1.6), as it has various speed improvements and other optimisations:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/aqsis/files

Hope that helps.
renderguy

Postby thane » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:20 am

after days of looking for an answer to the exact same problem, it seems i have finally found a great clue to solving the render issue -
only one thing -- how do i get the "\" and "/" issue resolved when MH writes the RIB? can i simply make some edits to the "out_render.rib.template" file in MH, so that it writes the paths correctly?
or can all the changes be done in the "makehuman.parameters" file? (i have the "aqs" path corrected properly, but it cannot seem to find the "Basebody.rib"/"Basehead.rib", no matter what path i write into the parameters..).

maybe it is a moot point, once MH 1.0 is fully operational, but for now i really want to experiment with the posing features in 0.9.1.
(everything renders great in MH 1.0.0a3b).

[using MH 0.9.1, Aqsis 1.6 in XP]
thane

Postby renderguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:34 am

Hi Thane,

how do i get the "\" and "/" issue resolved when MH writes the RIB? can i simply make some edits to the "out_render.rib.template" file in MH, so that it writes the paths correctly?

I've not used MH in a while but editing the out_render.rib.template file seems sensible, assuming it is indeed a template. ;)

Failing that another way would be a simple find/replace operation on the RIB output, replacing all backslash instances with a forwardslash... Linux/OS X have in-built tools for this (e.g. sed), while I recently stumbled-across a similar solution for Windows called gsar.

Hope that helps.
renderguy

Return to Newbies