how to create simple poses

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

how to create simple poses

Postby golfdog » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi All

I just downloaded the latest version of MH and it looks great.

My intention is to create poses which I can use to illustrate positions in golf and eventually animations for the same purpose. The interface is great to create my "golfer" but I cannot work out at all how to pose him in different positions. Nor can I find a tutorial.

I see references to Blender, what is that?

Could anyone point me in the right direction? I need very clear instructions if possible.

My thanks in advance,
golfdog

Re: how to create simple poses

Postby Aiena_G » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Well I will answer your question briefly and provide you with general pointers as I am not very knowledgeable in blender rigging and posing.

Makehuman parametrically helps you to quickly prototype models and provides rigging. Blender on the other hand is an open source full 3D content creation suite which has features for modelling meshes (vertice by vertice as opposed to parametrically), rigging, animation,texturing and rendering and is far more complex than MakeHuman.

To download and install blender you need to visit www.blender.org.

In order to asnwer your question there are basically 2 approaches both involve exporting the makehuman base as you will be working in blender for posing and/or animation. One option is to export with in the .mhx format. This provides uses a large set of features available in blender and provides you with a human completely rigged with shape keys, IK/FK, control bones etc and may be hard to use if you are totally new to blender. (You will need to replace the mhx importer available currently with blender with the one from the blendertools zip available on our site for it to work properly)

The other option is to export from makehuman with a rig of choice (you can use a simple rig E.g. in makehuman go to Pose/Animate and select the "Skeleton" sub tab and choose a simple rig e.g. the "basic" or "game" rig) and export it into blender then once in blender you can pose and animate, weight paint the character and so on.

I really hope this helps. For more information you can read the blender documentation also monitor this forum post as someone else may be able to provide you with more detailed guidance.

Some useful links and resource:
1) www.blender.org (to get the blender software and read basic documentation and learn what it is)
2) If you are familiar with IRC there is the #blender channel on the freenode IRC network - there are lots of helpful and very knowledgeable blender users who hang around there who can assist you and get you started with blender and hopefully help you acheive what you set out to do.
MakeHuman™ team member
Aiena_G

Postby golfdog » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:45 am

Many thanks for that detailed reply. It is obviously a lot more complicated than I hoped it might be.

Is there any software which does it all within a single platform?
golfdog

Postby duststorm » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:38 pm

golfdog wrote:Many thanks for that detailed reply. It is obviously a lot more complicated than I hoped it might be.

Is there any software which does it all within a single platform?

MakeHuman will support a library of static poses in the future to select from like a library.
Animations are a future idea too.
Whether real time posing will ever come to MH has not been decided yet.

Blender is a tool that brings you everything you need into one platform. But it takes some time to learn. If you want to learn about it you best start looking at the Blender beginners guide. Looking at some video tutorials is very educational too.

If you can invest the time to get to know it, I think Blender is perfect for your purposes.
This is what another user made to illustrate positions for a martial arts sport called Tang Soo Do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFQqi-NL9vI
You can find the topic here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10074&p=22628
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby veganpete » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:52 am

golfdog wrote:Hi All

I just downloaded the latest version of MH and it looks great.

My intention is to create poses which I can use to illustrate positions in golf and eventually animations for the same purpose. The interface is great to create my "golfer" but I cannot work out at all how to pose him in different positions. Nor can I find a tutorial.

I see references to Blender, what is that?

Could anyone point me in the right direction? I need very clear instructions if possible.

My thanks in advance,

Download an older version of MakeHuman, the older versions have an easy-to use "poser" built-in.
The newest versions of makehuman are more for building characters and customizing the look of the model; they completely removed the ability to pose the model for some reason.

Another alternative is "Daz Studio" and its "Genesis" models which are all free, you could also try Terawell's DesignDoll which is easier to use.

My advise would be to track down an old version of MakeHuman first ;)
veganpete

Postby loki1950 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Those older versions will be very problematic on any current updated OS the underlying libraries have changed there API while the old source code may work it most likely will not also while DAZ3D is free to download anything you create with it is not truly yours as their are licencing restrictions on where and how you can use your creations which is one of the primary reasons we recommend blender as their are not restrictions on your creations.

PS: I am allowing this post but you are under watch as necro posting is a very old spammer tactic

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:03 am

Still wondering why someone is digging up and responding to a post that is 4 years old, and IIRC MakeHuman never had a "poser" system. Sort of spam?
Aranuvir

Postby loki1950 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 pm

It was there but it was never finished and was not able to save the pose so it never amounted to a usable plug-in

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Return to Newbies