How to get started

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

How to get started

Postby Roygee » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi there - I've just downloaded Alpha 3 and need some help in getting started - I have been in 3d modeling for a reasonably long time and know my way around many apps - have also used previous versions of MakeHuman.

Firstly, does this version install, or do I have to run it from the .exe?

Secondly, how do I export an .obj? Have tried "E" as suggested by someone on this forum, but nothing happens. Have looked in the folder that contains the .exe - nothing.

Is there any sort of users manual - even if just rudimentary? About all I have managed to do is rotate and apply some morphs!
Roygee

Re: How to get started

Postby ChrisB » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Roygee wrote:Hi there - I've just downloaded Alpha 3 and need some help in getting started - I have been in 3d modeling for a reasonably long time and know my way around many apps - have also used previous versions of MakeHuman.

Firstly, does this version install, or do I have to run it from the .exe?

Secondly, how do I export an .obj? Have tried "E" as suggested by someone on this forum, but nothing happens. Have looked in the folder that contains the .exe - nothing.

Is there any sort of users manual - even if just rudimentary? About all I have managed to do is rotate and apply some morphs!

There's a quick start guide at http://sites.google.com/site/makehumandocs/quick-start
This document is based on Alpha 1, the main changes since then are with the detailed anatomical modelling and with the addition of hair. Three are also some small GUI changes.

The Windows download just needs unzipping, then you run makehuman.exe to launch it.

There does seem to me to be a problem with the 'e' for export workaround in this Alpha 3 test release. It also doesn't look like the main export function on the file management screen is working yet. I get errors in module3d.py lines 1336 and 1385 in keyDown and keyUp "LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding".

The rendering screen is able to generate renderman format and POV-Ray format files.

Regards,
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 pm

There does seem to me to be a problem with the 'e' for export workaround in this Alpha 3 test release. It also doesn't look like the main export function on the file management screen is working yet. I get errors in module3d.py lines 1336 and 1385 in keyDown and keyUp "LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding".

I just downloaded a copy of the current development deck from SVN and the export button on the file management screen seems to work in that one, writing the 'obj' file out to the 'exports' directory using a name of your choosing. If you're on Ubuntu you could maybe make use of one of the nightly builds from http://mh.jwp.se/builds.php to get this feature.

Regards,
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby Roygee » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks for the help - I've got it running OK - just not installed anywhere I can find - have to go into the folder and click on the .exe to get it going - maybe put a shortcut on the desktop.

Got the quick start, but no solution there and unfortunately not on Ubuntu. I'll try the alpha 2 version... :)

EDIT:

OK alpha 2 does export using "e" - I am really impressed with the .obj - these developers have done a great job :)

Imports fine into Carrara and Hexagon - can't wait for the fully functional version
Roygee

Return to Newbies