Export fbx and the textures?

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Export fbx and the textures?

Postby ayrin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Hello, i have exported the fbx file (twice) and uploaded it in mixamo, but the textures aren't there...am i missing something or the textures aren't exported with fbx?
Thanks
ayrin

Re: Export fbx and the textures?

Postby joepal » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:50 pm

The textures are exported alongside the FBX file, they are not included in it. There should be a "textures" folder created in the same place where you save the FBX file.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Tanny » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:10 pm

I'm having this problem too. Textures export out of MH fine, but they won't upload to Mixamo. Using FBX.
Tanny

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm reaching a level where I get seriously annoyed. You made your same point at three topics, now!

I do not know Maximo, but some quick search on google gave me the impression you need a .mtl (= material) file to use with obj files. As far as I know MH does not export mtl files. And the MH fbx exporter is probably not recommendable. Best try to move your character to blender via the MHX2 export, then export from blender as obj or fbx.
Aranuvir

Postby Tanny » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Aranuvir wrote: As far as I know MH does not export mtl files.

Yes, MH does export MTL files. I just did that about 5 minutes ago. Doesn't help in regards to Mixamo though.

To solve your annoyance, put my account on ignore in your forum control panel. Very easy!
Tanny

Postby loki1950 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Tanny wrote:
Aranuvir wrote: As far as I know MH does not export mtl files.

Yes, MH does export MTL files. I just did that about 5 minutes ago. Doesn't help in regards to Mixamo though.

To solve your annoyance, put my account on ignore in your forum control panel. Very easy!

Not an option we are moderators on the forum we have to be aware and notice all posts period.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Tanny » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:50 pm

loki1950 wrote:Not an option we are moderators on the forum we have to be aware and notice all posts period.

Ok, so if you're mods, could the two of you please stop clogging the thread with uninformed off topic posts? Thank you.
Tanny

Postby joepal » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:13 am

Tanny wrote:Ok, so if you're mods, could the two of you please stop clogging the thread with uninformed off topic posts? Thank you.

Please behave. Being rude towards the moderators isn't going to give you what you want.

This is a support forum for Makehuman, not for Mixamo. MH has no documented pipeline to Mixamo, which is a commercial service running an undocumented proprietary system that the MH devs haven't even got a theoretical chance to see the inner workings of. If you want to use MH together with something it wasn't tested with nor designed for, it's OK to ask a polite question, But getting upset when you don't immediately get the answer you want isn't constructive. Further, from what I can see in the post history, you have already gotten several good pointers about how to get around the issue.

If you want paid support, please ask at Mixamo. Since they're owned by Adobe they are part of a multi-billion dollar enterprise with staff paid to answer questions of this type.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Tanny » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 am

My last post was not rude, and it is now directed to you as well.
Please observe how you felt the need to comment, but added no useful relevant information to the topic of this thread.

Here's what the thread could have been about.

MakeHuman characters are largely useless unless one can find something fun to do with them.

I know some of you render your characters in Blender. Ok, that's great for you, no problem. But for many people, such as myself, MakeHuman characters aren't of high enough quality to merit the time investment Blender requires.

In previous threads some time ago I attempted to share another relatively easy way to use MH characters in a fun manner, but such discussions tended to make some members somewhat hysterical, so I won't be bringing that solution up again, I'll just use it myself and leave it to readers to discover it on their own.

Mixamo offers another fun and quite easy way to use MakeHuman characters. It's pretty amazing how remarkably easy it is to animate MH characters in Mixamo. Ok, so it's not high end custom animation such as is available in programs like Blender, but that's not what it tries to be. Mixamo's goal is to be very easy to use, and it succeeds in that mission. The only problem I see is the texture issue, which perhaps we could solve if we tried.

If my honorable fellow members were really interested in supporting the development of MakeHuman we'd all be looking for easy ways to do fun things with MH characters, because THAT is what would build the user base, and create a larger MH community.

The vast majority of computer users with an interest in 3D will never invest a lot of time in highly complex programs like Blender. This doesn't mean Blender is "bad" it just means it's not a suitable tool for most people who might enjoy MakeHuman. Thus, putting the focus on the hard ways to use MH characters is to limit the true potential of MH.

Please observe how an attempt was made above to discuss an easy fun way to use MH characters, which would seem to be very relevant to the stated topic of this forum.

Please observe how the mods are ignoring useful discussion of animating MH characters in an easy fun manner, preferring instead to discuss this particular poster, an uninteresting subject not relevant to the stated mission of this site.
Tanny

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:59 am

Just a short remark and mostly not for the previous poster. It's not a problem of discussing other software, it's the way of the presentation. This kind of posting is more advertising for other software, or better spamming. It is enough to make a request for an issue on ONE topic and not several topics. And as Joel stated you should ask for help on the Maximo forum. No one knows why Maximo does not work.

We are not going to follow these kind discussions much longer!
Aranuvir

Return to Newbies