Export to CAD formats

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Export to CAD formats

Postby salicioucrumb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a CAD modeler and I find it tedious to go through the conversion process in order to convert a MakeHuman file into a workable format for CAD programs such as Solidworks.

Would it be possible to incorporate the ability to export to formats such as IGES, STEP, and or Parasolid, even if the poses are then static after export?
salicioucrumb

Re: Export to CAD formats

Postby Manuel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:08 pm

Added in roadmap for alpha9.
http://makehuman.org/content/add_cad_support.html

Now it's matter to have enough resources to implement it.
Best,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Don't know if this is any help but, there is a program called mesh-to-solid. I looked at it a while back. I think it was a trial or demo version. As far as I can remember the meshes have to be closed and the normals of the facets have to be unidirectional before it can solidify. I don't know if mesh-to-solid allows mesh editing so that you can close the meshes but, you could pipeline them through Blender. Then again maybe that's the tediousness that you're talking about.
Can't Solidworks close and solidify meshes? One would think it could at the price it goes for.
Rapscallion

Postby duststorm » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:07 am

Is there no export format available in MH that is possible to be imported in CAD software?
I think there is a good chance it is able to import wavefront OBJ, or callada (DAE) files.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Manuel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:36 am

Obj should work indeed.
Manuel

Postby Manuel » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:31 am

salicioucrumb wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm a CAD modeler and I find it tedious to go through the conversion process in order to convert a MakeHuman file into a workable format for CAD programs such as Solidworks.

Would it be possible to incorporate the ability to export to formats such as IGES, STEP, and or Parasolid, even if the poses are then static after export?

Can you confirm wavefront obj is ok for your CAD application?
Manuel

Return to User contributions