Height and Weight

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Height and Weight

Postby SaltyCowdawg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Instead of or in addition to the sliders it would be really nice to be able to set height and weight via text input. I have the darndest time getting the sliders to go to the values I'm after.
Peter L. Berghold <peter@berghold.net> or <Salty.Cowdawg@gmail.com>
Retired IT with 30+ years in the business
SaltyCowdawg

Re: Height and Weight

Postby duststorm » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:25 pm

SaltyCowdawg wrote:Instead of or in addition to the sliders it would be really nice to be able to set height and weight via text input. I have the darndest time getting the sliders to go to the values I'm after.

I thought we had it at one point, but there seems to be no option to enable it in the latest svn version.
We already have slider widgets with numerical input so it should not be too hard to add an option to enable numerical input for all sliders.

I''ll have a look at it when I have time.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:43 pm

I too agree that it would be a nice feature.
When modeling a human/oid, I like to make left and right symmetrical and then do the assymetry afterward.
At the moment I find myself switching from left to right limbs with my finger physically positioned at the slider position when switching, so that I can at least attain a close approximation of symmetry. It would be nice of I could just punch in numerical measurement, or a percentage value which deviates positively (bigger) or negatively (smaller) from the norm (0).
Nice, but not critical. Perhaps something for after the next stable release.
Rapscallion

Postby duststorm » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:33 pm

It's easy to add but whether it will be useful is still the question.
The numerical values you enter for macro parameters such as weight and height are just a value between [0,1], not something that is human-readable.

To actually make them understandable by humans, they'd have to be converted and set in real-world units. For weight this will mean tagging the target values with some kind of average estimate.
In any case, such conversion has not been attempted yet.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:11 pm

I agree where weight is concerned. Its easier said than done. People from medical backgrounds may find weight estimations useful but, I know that it will need to take in to account the human physical attributes of bone density, muscle density, age, etc.
I understand that certain other sliders will not be quantifiable either, like ethnicity for example.

Where measurement is concerned much of it will be accessible via the measure tab once it is operational. In alpha 7 I used this as a tool to tweak the model.
It would be great to have these length and circumferential measurements (if not alterable, then at least visible) on-the-fly, whilst moving a slider.

With any artistic modeler, it is not so much about weight or measurement anyway, its about proportionality. So, even if the slider did indicate a simple value between 0 and 1, it still serves as a guide to the modeling sizes and an aid in attaining symmetry.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Rapscallion

Postby madcontra » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:32 pm

I think weight estimation would be useful as well so I decided to take a stab at the math.

(updated 7-Oct-2013)

INPUTS:

height (in cm)
volume (in cm^3) {doesn't currently exist; for testing I used a Blender add-on}
gender (between 0 and 1; 0=female, 1=male)
muscle (between 0 and 1; 0=non-muscular, 1=muscular)
weight (between 0 and 1; 0=thin, 1=fat)
age (between 0 and 1; 0=0years, 0.5=25years, 1=90years)
frame (between 0 and 1) {doesn't currently exist, optional}

CONSTANTS:

density.bone.max = 1.75 g/cm^3
density.fat = 0.9 g/cm^3
density.muscle = 1.05 g/cm^3

frame.range = 0.25 {maximum increase and decrease of bone mass due to frame}
age.bone.min = 0.8333 {bone density at age 90 as ratio to peak bone density}
age.bone.max.pos = 0.5 {age at maximum bone density}

VARIABLES:

mass.bone.male = (0.07*(height^2.33))
mass.bone.female = (0.03*(height^2.48))
mass.bone.gender = (mass.bone.male*gender)+(mass.bone.female*(1-gender))

frame.bone.modifier = (((1+frame.range)-(1-frame.range))*frame)+(1-frame.range)
age.bone.modifier = 1+(((age.bone.min-1)*((age-age.bone.max.pos)^2)/((1-age.bone.max.pos)^2)))

mass.bone = mass.bone.gender*frame.bone.modifier*age.bone.modifier
density.bone = density.bone.max*age.bone.modifier
volume.bone = mass.bone/density.bone

adiposity.male = (0.9323*weight)+(0.1129*muscle)-(1.0054*weight*(muscle^0.5))+0.03
adiposity.female = (1.3058*(weight^1.2))+(0.2591*muscle)-(1.471*weight*muscle)+0.15
adiposity = (adiposity.male*gender)+(adiposity.female*(1-gender))

volume.fat = (adiposity*density.muscle*(volume-volume.bone))/((adiposity*density.muscle)+density.fat)
mass.fat = volume.fat*density.fat

mass.muscle = (volume-(volume.bone+volume.fat))*density.muscle

OUTPUTS:

mass.total = (mass.bone+mass.fat+mass.muscle)/1000 [in kilograms]
bodyfat = mass.fat/(mass.total*1000)
bmi = mass.total/((height/100)^2)
Last edited by madcontra on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
madcontra

Postby duststorm » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Very interesting.
Thanks for sharing them.

Volume and area calculation can be added to MH without too much effort, so we might be able to use those formulas.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby madcontra » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 am

No problem, hopefully something good will come from it seeing how I'm now on a list at the NSA for having searched "bone density babies"...
madcontra

Postby joepal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:21 am

madcontra wrote:No problem, hopefully something good will come from it seeing how I'm now on a list at the NSA for having searched "bone density babies"...

To be sure, make a few searches for "how to make a bomb" and "bomb receipes" too.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby madcontra » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:25 am

I updated my original post with a refined formula.

Changes:

In the original, increasing the age mistakenly decreased bone density by maintaining bone mass and increasing bone volume. Now, increasing age decreases bone mass and density while maintaining volume.

The new formula factors gender into bone mass calculations.

The original formula was pretty stupid when it came to figuring the ratio of fat volume to muscle volume, only taking into account the muscle slider and gender. Now, it factors in gender, muscle and weight. I ended up having to model 9 samples for each gender, plugged the measurements into an online body fat estimator and tweaked a formula until the results were as close to what I wanted as possible. (Not as easy as it sounds, since it was a three-dimensional data set even if you don't include gender which I simply scaled linearly since there's no data on body fat percentages of intersexed people anyway)
madcontra

Next

Return to User contributions