Two Feature Requests (Orthographic & "Reset to Default")

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Two Feature Requests (Orthographic & "Reset to Default")

Postby DavidBrennan » Thu May 23, 2013 7:04 pm

These are just two simple feature requests that I hope can be included in MH 1.8.

1) An orthographic camera option. I believe that this is the preferred choice for most all modelers when making character meshes, anyhow, so it is only logical that a character modeling program should include such a choice for users.
2) (Most important.) A "Reset to Default" option for various sliders. This, too, is a simple option for many computer value programs, and it would be great for MH, too. For instance, sometimes I will be messing around with, for instance, the size of an arm, just being a bit reckless. Then, I decide that I just want the arms to look as they did before I went into the dialogue. It would be great to be able to go into each of the arm settings and just Right-click > Restore to Default Value.

I hope these things are not too much work so that they could be easily included. Regardless, thanks and God bless to everybody at MH.

Here's an example of the "Reset to Default Value" in Blender:

DavidBrennan

Re: Two Feature Requests (Orthographic & "Reset to Default")

Postby Manuel » Thu May 23, 2013 8:10 pm

The (1) is already implemented in svn.
Indeed the perspective is useless in modelling process.

The (2) is not clear. The default value of each slider is always 0. Why do you need a button for it?
Manuel

Postby DavidBrennan » Thu May 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Manuel wrote:The (1) is already implemented in svn.

The (2) is not clear. The default value of each slider is always 0. Why do you need a button for it?

Thanks for clearing that up about the Orthographic view. It still seems to switch to perspective view once in a while, but it does appear to usually be in orthographic view.

The second issue, regarding default values, essentially comes down to making changes reversible. (Also, if the default value for most things is just 0, then a "Reset to Default Value" option would seem to be very easy to implement. But the user cannot enter numeric values on the slider, anyway, and so they can only approximate where the 0 figure is.)

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=51987
DavidBrennan

Postby Manuel » Fri May 24, 2013 8:49 am

DavidBrennan wrote:
Manuel wrote:The (1) is already implemented in svn.

Thanks for clearing that up about the Orthographic view. It still seems to switch to perspective view once in a while, but it does appear to usually be in orthographic view.

The second issue, regarding default values, essentially comes down to making changes reversible. (Also, if the default value for most things is just 0, then a "Reset to Default Value" option would seem to be very easy to implement. But the user cannot enter numeric values on the slider, anyway, and so they can only approximate where the 0 figure is.)

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=51987

Maybe the reset all button work for this purpose?
reset.png
Manuel

Postby DavidBrennan » Fri May 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Manuel wrote:http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=51987

Maybe the reset all button work for this purpose?
reset.png

No, because that resets EVERYTHING. That's basically the equivalent of just closing and then reopening the entire program. The "Reset to Default Value" option would just apply to a specific value (such as height, weight, arm length, etc.).
DavidBrennan

Postby duststorm » Sat May 25, 2013 12:54 am

With undo you should be able to undo individual slider changes.
I understand that there are use cases where you do not want to undo the last modified slider, but another one, which will not work with undo, but you should keep in mind that the 0 position of sliders doesn't have that much meaning.
Where the slider is placed exactly should not matter that much, as long as you are pleased with the result. The 0 or default positions are, from a modeling perspective, just arbitrary positions.

In any case, A feature for showing text input fields next to the sliders is already on the TODO list, so it should be implemented in the foreseeable future. With this it will be possible to easily restore sliders to 0.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby DavidBrennan » Sun May 26, 2013 1:15 am

I understand (and appreciate the explanations). Knowing that there is a planned display of the numeric values of the sliders should be a good enough "fix" for this particular issue.

I know what you mean about the Mesh being "arbitrary", but I don't believe that that's totally accurate. Because I think that the base Mesh is, presumably, designed with certain common, ideal features in mind. And so it's good to be able to default back to those original (though somewhat arbitrary) positions, when I have just distorted the Mesh too much.

But, yeah, to be clear, I think that a display for sliders should work great. Thanks again.
DavidBrennan

Postby duststorm » Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 am

DavidBrennan wrote:I know what you mean about the Mesh being "arbitrary", but I don't believe that that's totally accurate. Because I think that the base Mesh is, presumably, designed with certain common, ideal features in mind. And so it's good to be able to default back to those original (though somewhat arbitrary) positions, when I have just distorted the Mesh too much.

This is true for some sliders, for which the middle position has explicitly a target assigned to it. Examples of this are the age, weight and height macro sliders. Other sliders simply create a 50-50 mix of predefined targets at their default middle position.
This is especially true for the ethnicity sliders, which are set to 33-33-33 by default.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby DavidBrennan » Sun May 26, 2013 5:23 pm

duststorm wrote:This is especially true for the ethnicity sliders, which are set to 33-33-33 by default.

Hey, you better have a U.S. version where the Caucasian slider is way lower than 33% to more accurately represent the new demographics of the country: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 51818.html
DavidBrennan

Postby duststorm » Sun May 26, 2013 10:02 pm

It doesn't have anything to do with demographics.
It's just a blend of 1/3 of each of the 3 available ethnics.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Next

Return to User contributions