MH needs YOU - Questionnaire for GUI development

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

MH needs YOU - Questionnaire for GUI development

Postby kekeljevic » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:14 am

This questionnaire purpose is improvement of GUI. If you can answer on couple of questions it would be great.

Questions:
1. Are You in graphic art related business? (YES / NO)
2. Favourite OS (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS, specific Linux distribution...)
3. Favourite 3D software, except MH? Why? (3D Max, Blender 3D, Maya, Lightwave, XSI SoftImage, Wing3D...)
4. Favourite 3D characters software, except MH? Why? (Daz 3D, Pozer...)
5. Use of MH?

My answers are:
Yes
2. Favourite OS (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS, specific Linux distribution...)
Ubuntu Linux
3. Favourite 3D software, except MH? Why? (3D Max, Blender 3D, Maya, Lightwave, XSI SoftImage, Wing3D...)
Blender 3D because it's open source and it's suits my 3D needs. XSI SoftImage likes because it's great usability.
Pozer because big set of models and poses.
5. Use of MH?
Get basic character model for farther processing in Blender.
kekeljevic

Re: MH needs YOU - Questionnaire for GUI development

Postby gwc42 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:52 am

1. Are You in graphic art related business? (YES / NO) - No

2. Favourite OS (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS, specific Linux distribution...) Windows XP. Well, I wouldn't say "favourite"; "most convenient" would be a better description.

3. Favourite 3D software, except MH? Why? (3D Max, Blender 3D, Maya, Lightwave, XSI SoftImage, Wing3D...) Blender. Because it's cheap and effective, and doesnt require enormous resources (disk space, memory...) of which I don't have too much.

-

5. Use of MH? Fun! Also interesting to follow development of application.
gwc42

Postby pistacja » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:13 pm

NO
Windows XP - most stuff works on it
Ubuntu - works most of the time
3DS Max - quite easy and effective
Blender - value for money
TrueSpace - the first 3d software I've used
NONE
5. Use of MH?
Fun.
This post was made thanks to Me, Myself and I.
pistacja

Postby joepal » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:55 pm

NO

I more or less only use Linux, currently Ubuntu. If I have to use windows I start it up in virtualbox

"Imagine". It's the only raytracer/modeler I feel I ever fully mastered. Pity it was designed for Amiga initially and then never got developed a whole lot.

None

5. Use of MH?
Mainly technical interest.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby scottgcau » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:58 pm

No

I use Windows XP because most people do

3dsmax because it does everything I need it to and I learned it first
Blender sounds good but don't want to waste time learning it until v2.5

There is only MH

5. Use of MH?
Hobbyist ATM but maybe eventually use it for game models / cut scenes
scottgcau

Postby Nadow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:05 pm

No.

Ubuntu Linux, because it is free software.

Blender, because it is free software.

No, because I don't know any other characters software.

5. Use of MH?
Interest in grafics, maybe to create 3d characters for games.
Desaster Games
// Lead artist
Nadow

Postby wandererBC » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 pm

1. Q. Are You in graphic art related business? (YES / NO)

A. NO, just a hobbyist at the moment

2. Q. Favourite OS (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS, specific Linux distribution...)

A. Windows XP, though I have not yet tried Windows 7, which I may be upgrading to if it lives up to the hype.

3. Q. Favourite 3D software, except MH? Why? (3D Max, Blender 3D, Maya, Lightwave, XSI SoftImage, Wing3D...)

A. Blender & 3D-Coat (Cheap or free and powerful, great for a hobbyist on a tight budget)

4. Q. Favorite 3D characters software, except MH? Why? (Daz 3D, Pozer...)

A. Quidam by N-sided. Great easy to use interface (not unlike makeHuman's :) ), fun sculpting tools (if somewhat imprecise for my taste), latest version adds needed content management, support for morph targets, and improvements to texture painting / uv-mapping. Still no support for any kind of in-application hair or cloth generation though. Quidam and makeHuman are the programs Poser and Daz Studio should have evolved into years ago.

5. Q. Use of MH?

A. To use as a starting point in creation of characters for personal Illustrations, with further refinement in other software as necessary. Creation of costuming patterns for use with fabric printing services like Spoonflower (Superhero fan costuming is another hobby of mine, mostly for comic book and sci-fi conventions. Oh and do not call it Cosplay! I hate that. :x ) Creation of 3D printed costume parts and wearable props from Shapeways. Also possibly using it for indy game character development way, off in the future some day! ;)
wandererBC

Postby kekeljevic » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:20 pm

THANK YOU ALL FOR PARTICIPATION AND ANSWERS! You were very good and conclusions will be very useful for MH GUI development.

I got a new question for you and I'm hopping you can help me out with it.

DID SOMEONE HAS SOME CONTACT WITH ZOOMABLE INTERFACES AND WITH WHICH ONE? Additional comments are welcome too.

Zoomable interfaces use 3th dimension for showing important informations. Famous example for it is Opera Mobile, or tool for Time Zone in Ubuntu Linux. Your feedback for this question would be useful for default interaction model and will show user's habits and expectations. Thanks in advance...
kekeljevic

Return to User contributions