MH new GUI, BRAINSTORMING here

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: MH new GUI, BRAINSTORMING here

Postby Manuel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:04 pm

Pete wrote: So what about normal mode for the part being worked on and "X-ray" mode for the rest of the model?

Surely we will use Xray mode, in example when the artist work on teeth zone.
Anyway we are not sure the same thing is good when the user is modeling external zones...in example, you need to see the full face, in order to valuate the "effect" of differents noses...

Cheers,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby bombermanx » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:17 pm

I was using your product and found it a bit entertaining. Not entirely sure what I'll use it for, but it's a very useful asset "just in case". I was looking for updates and how to make it a bit more customizable and found this thread. Right now I'm under a tight deadline on making graphics for a music video and took a little break. I came up with a possible design for the axis- if it wasn't already settled upon. Feel free to do whatever you want with it, it was just an idea. I got confused after making the X-rotational axis, so there's a mixture of my first idea and second. Well, alas I must be on my way. Great program!

Sincerely,
Anonymous browser
Attachments
Untitled-a1.png
just an axis/rotation idea
Untitled-a1.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 8689 times
bombermanx

Postby fuzzcube » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:59 pm

Hello, Just popped in to check out the new gui progress. I like the look of the version 3 gui, It has a nice clean look. I am guessing that the "icons" are greyed until hovered upon/selected?

pistacja wrote:I just took a look at the blog and I think I like the "Different solution" better.

I have just a small idea... You'd only ever modify one side of the mesh and then maybe click a "symmetry" button to make the other side exactly the same. You'd have a great preview of what you are actually doing since you can just compare the right and left side. There could be a "invert controls" to change the side you are currently modifying to make some asymmetrical meshes.

I also like this Idea by pistacja which would allow you to mirror edit parts of the mesh. So you can keep the arm lentghs the same without having to edit both sides ect. Not so sure about the Invert controls though, maybe for each part if it is needed a button for "make this part asymetric" though not being worded so generic perhaps.

Thats all for now. Keep up the good work
fuzzcube

Postby Uriel » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi,
working on the ui design, i see that is only pixmap ! nice one !
so idecided to make a new interface images to fit with my vision, here:

it's just a beginning....
something i found a bit small: the top-left toolbar !!! so small :cry:

Anyway, if someone want to work on it with me...you're welcome :P
bye
Uriel

Postby pistacja » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:26 pm

I suggest to wait for the new version with a new interface before making skins. Otherwise I think it will all go to waste.
This post was made thanks to Me, Myself and I.
pistacja

Postby brkurt » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:46 am

Is it possible to use this moment of change to finally free us from keyboard and mouse?
I'm thinking that it would make sense if the new 3d widget control system could be operable from a gamepad that has very fine digital movement capabilities. I've got Blender working in Windows with a Saitek P-80, and it's great for zoom and rotate. Your new interface sounds just right for gamers technology.
brkurt

Postby Manuel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:24 pm

brkurt wrote:Is it possible to use this moment of change to finally free us from keyboard and mouse?
I'm thinking that it would make sense if the new 3d widget control system could be operable from a gamepad that has very fine digital movement capabilities. I've got Blender working in Windows with a Saitek P-80, and it's great for zoom and rotate. Your new interface sounds just right for gamers technology.

New version will use SDL, so probably it's supported.
Manuel

Postby AShenwraith » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi, I just want to ask if you would plz have a mode to enable the 2D ONLY interface and hide any of this 3D stuff.

The most I need is a native based GUI slider that responds fast when dragged and also text fields to input the data manually.

Poser is a nightmare with it's interface causing crashes/errors and Blender overwhelms most new people with too many panels and weird properties.

However, I'm also a 2D/3D artist and the 3D stuff I've seen so far looks strange and alien.

I think if you are going to make an interface in 3D it has to be intuitive to real life and very very simple.

The best example I can think of is attaching puppet strings to the model.

You can then adjust the tension/angle of the string and using a single stick or combine multiple strings to a another stick.

To create or edit a string you could select the part of mesh and create/edit its as a spline (you would probably have to use multiple views for this).

The best part would be if the model was already 'pre-rigged' with strings.

Then all you have to do is pull, twist, and move them in a way that 99% of people can understand.
AShenwraith

Postby Manuel » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:33 am

AShenwraith wrote:Hi, I just want to ask if you would plz have a mode to enable the 2D ONLY interface and hide any of this 3D stuff.

The most I need is a native based GUI slider that responds fast when dragged and also text fields to input the data manually.

Poser is a nightmare with it's interface causing crashes/errors and Blender overwhelms most new people with too many panels and weird properties.

However, I'm also a 2D/3D artist and the 3D stuff I've seen so far looks strange and alien.

I think if you are going to make an interface in 3D it has to be intuitive to real life and very very simple.

The best example I can think of is attaching puppet strings to the model.

You can then adjust the tension/angle of the string and using a single stick or combine multiple strings to a another stick.

To create or edit a string you could select the part of mesh and create/edit its as a spline (you would probably have to use multiple views for this).

The best part would be if the model was already 'pre-rigged' with strings.

Then all you have to do is pull, twist, and move them in a way that 99% of people can understand.

Have you seen these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR0j2E5QI-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzDy2XYzt4Q

?
Manuel

Postby AShenwraith » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:51 am

Yeah, I've seen those.

It looks more like an Anthropology/Anatomy interface instead of an industrial/Professional art tool.

The morphs seems slow to respond -- Isn't there a way to generate a quick wireframe of the morph over the model before clicking?

It needs numbers too -- both positive and negative. This will also let you reset to 0 of any value so you can quickly mix and match. Many times when I used MH 0.9.1-RC1 I was very disappointed there were not negative values for the morphs. This limited my control and meant I had to look for another morph in a long list and hope there was some similarity that would be there with a negative value of a morph (for example scaling the ear -- you could only shrink it).

For example:

- Drag a scoll left or right and see a wireframe move near real-time
- Maybe enter in a number for a shortcut
- Commit changes with enter key

The map for ethnicity is interesting, but for an art tool a lot of times you just want "less African nose" or " more Asian eyes" really fast.

I think some sort of quick branching system to mix and match ethnic parts would be more helpful for artists who want original characters not just "African Human".

As for 3D, I think arrows work best like in the MH 0.9.1 RC1a diagrams, but a little more clear/simple.

You can see in this poser plug-in that uses 3D arrows very easily and effectively: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/i ... stWanted=Y

I think the arrows should be a bit less fat in that plug-in, but it doesn't really matter i guess.
AShenwraith

PreviousNext

Return to User contributions