A simple idea on how to do clothes in MakeHuman

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: A simple idea on how to do clothes in MakeHuman

Postby Sethren » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:04 pm

Sounds good. I like to see how they were put together for some inspiration to make more complex garments some day soon.
Sethren

Postby Rorkimaru » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:58 pm

you are actually including cloth simulation!? well that's impressive. I'm glad to hear that you are also working on low poly exporting. That's great news =D

I cant wait to see how this turns out. Software like this and Gimp and Inkscape and all the other open source programs out there really caught my attention and just yesterday I finally switched to Linux. I don't know why I didn't do it earlier. free versions of everything i used to use on windows are available and often more full featured. People like yourself who make OSsoftware deserve a pat on the back.

By the way Sethren, If you are still looking into cloth simulation that's out at the moment you might want to look at blender's soft bodies. it requires a bit of tweeking but it looks like it could tide you over until the MH update is released. for a good tutorial type

"Super3boy's 14th Blender Tutorial(A Cloth With Softbodies)"

into the youtube search engine. it looks quite impressive and can mimic different cloths
Rorkimaru

Postby Manuel » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Rorkimaru wrote:you are actually including cloth simulation!? well that's impressive. I'm glad to hear that you are also working on low poly exporting. That's great news =D

Not exactly cloth simulation (I mean, not very advanced, not yet...). The idea is to clothify *any* custom geometry you import.
Note that MH is not for animations, but only for pose, and mainly to export meshes in external software, so the most important thing is a realistic simulation in pose (instead in animation).

Regards,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby Sethren » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks for the offer but i really tried for years getting around Blender's UI and rather unique work flow and just could not figure it out. I feel i just don't have the time to learn an interface that might take weeks or even months to get used to as i believe that when opening a program one should be able to dive into it in a matter of minutes. For example i tried loading a python script a few weeks back just to see if the new build was any more easy to use but i never knew it was such a headache just to load a script and it's file browser is (no offense to the Blender Heads) silly as i think it takes to many steps to do something that should be easy to do. Another thing is hot keys, i hate them. I am much faster with a mouse. Also the fact the the icons have abbreviations rather then fully names functions are very annoying. Programs that were for me easy to use in Modo although Modo's shader tree is a bit weird, they need to go nodal and it's kind of a pricey app. Carrara is very easy to understand so i tend to stick with that 3d application more then anything else. MoI 3D has a wonderful UI as well.

As for clothify, well that is good enough for me. Realistic simulation in pose all sounds great and like you said MakeHuman was not made for animation.
Sethren

Postby Rorkimaru » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:40 pm

Manuel - To tell you the truth I'm not quite sure what the difference between clothify and cloth simulation is but it sounds like you know what you are doing so I'm sure you have it covered =D. This program gets me really excited because I have put much time into trying to learn how to model humans and while I have been getting better I still suck royally ;)... This program could very easily become part of a computer game building pipeline for indie game builders on a budget. By the time you have a 1.0 release with hair, clothes ect you should look into google adsense. that way you can keep the project open source and free ect but make some return on all your hard work. I don't know if you would be into that but after developing such a quality program you guys all deserve more reward than a pat on the back!

Sethren - I totally know what you mean about the interface, it takes quite a bit of getting used to. I'm forcing myself to do it because its quite a powerful application and I cant use my old (kind of shoddy) system. I found a good idea is to make a list of the hotkeys you would be using most often and stick it up by the monitor. for instance I would be using modelling centred commands so I have things like "E = Extrude", "S = Scale", "G = Move"... that sort of thing. that said if you are happy with your current software then no way should you change just for the sake of it. that would be silly =D
Rorkimaru

Postby Roseb441702 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:25 am

I have to thank you for posting this but alas I still don't get it.

Are you importing the makehuman objects into a object-editing program? I have Wings3d that I'm using for object modeling but I'm not getting you are able to pick certain aspcects of the model and turning them into the "poly-splines" that you are mentioning.

I always thought that one can make clothing for a particuar model by copying the model / human object and making the clothing from that - though it tends to be quite complicated and detailed. :( :oops:

Rose - My 3d Page
http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/3d.htm
http://the3dbeginner.blogspot.com
Roseb441702

Postby DAD » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:54 am

Yes Rose, that is what most all of us do. We create a character in MakeHuman. Export the OBJ and use it in other programs. Most people here use Blender, a few are using Maya and 3Dmax, some use Wings and there are other programs I am sure. I specialize in converting MakeHuman meshes to Poser characters. At this point the program is primarily a starting point for creating a humaniod mesh for use in other programs. The final end result of where Manuel and his team take this is yet to be seen and is eagerly anticipated.
I don't fear god anymore. Anything he/she does to me now is only adding insult to injury ... alright already enough with the insults!

http://www.dad-tv.com
DAD

Previous

Return to User contributions