Separate Top and Bottom Teeth Objects

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Separate Top and Bottom Teeth Objects

Postby brkurt » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:09 pm

It's really simple. Make sure that the top and bottom dentures (teeth) are separate objects.
If you do that, then shape-keying and rigging a MakeHuman model in Blender is a one-hour job, mostly for fine-tuning. As it is, I always have to manually separate out the top and bottom teeth, and look for empty faces.

Thanks for all the great work!
brkurt

Re: Separate Top and Bottom Teeth Objects

Postby brkurt » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:55 am

Here's what I mean. This took about one and a half hours to clean up.

http://www.geekopolis.ca/graphics/makehuman/bottomDentures.png
brkurt

Postby Syziph » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:47 am

Is not that hard to separate the upper teeth and lower teeth as different objects.
Here is the workflow (asumming you are using Blender):

1. In Edit mode (Wireframe view) - Brush select ([B][B]) some vertices from the neighbouring surfaces (head, tongue, gums etc.)
2. Press [Ctrl+L] to select all linked to the selection vertices, then press [H] to hide them.
3. Now when the upper and lower teeth are only visible, brush select some vertices from the bottom teeth and [Ctrl+L] to select the rest.
4. Press [P] to separate the selection as new object.(Now you can Box select the upper teeth and separate them too).
5. You can unhide the hidden parts by pressing [Alt+H]

It will take less than a minute :)
Syziph

Postby pterandon » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:11 am

I found it taking me a good half hour per character. There are just so many individual operations-- one has to brush select at least one vertex on every single tooth on one jaw without hitting any tooth on the other jaw. It's a no-value-add operation that doesn't involve artistic expression on our part. Let the computer do that.

I too think it would save lots and lots of time in rigging a character.
pterandon

Return to User contributions