Suggestion to help lack of 3d artists

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Suggestion to help lack of 3d artists

Postby joepal » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:15 am

Just thinking maybe it feels like a big step to register as an active 3d modeller and all, and maybe there are people around who'd like to try their hands on making a morph target without actually signing up for anything...

SUGGESTION 1: Post a step-by-step instruction on how to contribute a morph target and see if that helps.
SUGGESTION 2: Add existing morph targets (if any) to svn so there are examples of how they look like
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Suggestion to help lack of 3d artists

Postby Manuel » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:45 am

The suggestion is not bad, but it don't take account of two things:

1) Administration effort
2) Hight skill level is required

About (1).
It's practically impossible to organize the work of random contributors. We need to work on targets in a very precise order, and following very precise rules. Just as example, I've attached here one of tables we are using to make targets.

About(2).
If we receive 100 meshes per day, and we need to open them, one for one, in order to see if they are to trash, to get, or to correct (and, in last case, write to original modeler, explaing in details what he need to modify...), and, after this work, only 1 or 2 mesh are ok...we will get crazy in few days...

So we need a core of max 10 skilled and reliable artists.

What you suggest will be done after the release, when we will have a package system to include new targets, and when these targets will be not CORE TARGETS (as actually) but optional targets, that can be added randomly and are not liked between them.

Regards,

Manuel
Attachments
modellingsequence.gif
Manuel

Postby rawgreen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:16 pm

I've been trying to make my own morphs using only notepad, and I've only had one almost successful morph, though, I have a little bit of technical difficulties :p
rawgreen

Postby Manuel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:22 am

rawgreen wrote:I've been trying to make my own morphs using only notepad, and I've only had one almost successful morph, though, I have a little bit of technical difficulties :p

nooootepad???
:o

well, we have a maketarget script for Blender...if you are interested.
Manuel

Postby pink101 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:17 pm

i think other than morph created by talented artist, makehuman.org should also have a "morph" section on the site where all makehuman user can upload and share their morph with other user. something like blender material repository at http://matrep.parastudios.de/index.php .
pink101

Postby Manuel » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:32 pm

pink101 wrote:i think other than morph created by talented artist, makehuman.org should also have a "morph" section on the site where all makehuman user can upload and share their morph with other user. something like blender material repository at http://matrep.parastudios.de/index.php .

This is planned, but not before 1.0 stable is out.

Regards,

Manuel
Manuel

Return to User contributions