Bad Wolf Labs Clothing project

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Bad Wolf Labs Clothing project

Postby robertltux » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:05 pm

As part of the greater MakeHuman Project i would like to get going on doing some clothing to be included in the Make Human package.

Who would like to step up and join me in this??

Looking for both modelers and texture artists.

right now i need tights and a good set of slippers (ballet type)
robertltux

Re: Bad Wolf Labs Clothing project

Postby Sethren » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:05 am

Wish i could but more importantly my main concerns are the facial reconstruction and pose tools which is more important then having a clothing library which seems to be many people's focus right now besides the export features and this appears to be diverging from the primary intent of make human.
Sethren

Postby robertltux » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:06 pm

which is why i am trying to get the folks that want to work on clothing more or less organized so that the folks in the larger project can work on the other parts. Oh and i was approached by a Core Team Member about this.

on the more advanced bits of the Clothing Project would be

1 Skins/Tattoos
2 Masks Makeup and other facial decorations <---- this would hook into facial reconstruction
3 Clothing Rigging <------ this hooks into the pose tool and is required for same

i have a few files in http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5398233/badwolf ... lflabs.zip btw if anybody wanting to work with clothing has a DropBox account i can share the entire folder to you.
robertltux

Postby Sethren » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:54 am

Well, that is fine and dandy but why don't we combine the efforts of helping the larger portion of the project and put clothes to the side as it diverges from what make human is supposed to be. Let the clothing be created in blender etc... on peoples own time. It is obvious that the project needs to be focused on making realistic human bodies. Without those resources being focused on the primary aspect of the software it will be many years before the project is ever useful and i might as well take up illustration and learn to draw people rather then wait for a very, very long time. Worse case, i can always use daz studio.
Sethren

Postby robertltux » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Sethren wrote:Well, that is fine and dandy but why don't we combine the efforts of helping the larger portion of the project and put clothes to the side as it diverges from what make human is supposed to be..

What you seem to be not counting on is the skill sets are related but not the same. Some folks would be worthless in dealing with the human mesh it self but are wizards in making clothing meshes.

Besides if you are so concerned with the Human part of MakeHuman why don't you start working on say Polynesian skins (and targets)??

Me im going to be digging into Docs , Clothing and SL export.
robertltux

Postby duststorm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Sethren wrote:Well, that is fine and dandy but why don't we combine the efforts of helping the larger portion of the project and put clothes to the side as it diverges from what make human is supposed to be. Let the clothing be created in blender etc... on peoples own time.

I respect your opinion, but you must understand that no contributor to MH is paid. Therefore most people's motivation for contributing to the project will stem from personal interests or own usage purposes. What people intend to do with MakeHuman can vary a great deal, and what you wish to do with it might not be what someone else wants to do. This is because MH is artistic in nature, instead of a more technical program that conforms to a certain specification and is created for a specific purpose. Additionally core MakeHuman work needs a lot of experience that goes beyond most people's capabilities, and it's often not the most interesting. (for example the morph targets Manuel is working on -- a lot of hard work and pretty repetitive, but very important and not something everyone can do).

It's hard to find people willing to contribute actively, so we should encourage those that are willing to do so. That probably means giving everyone some (artistic) liberty.
This project is different from most opensource projects in a lot of ways (because it's both technical and artistically oriented), and it's certainly not one of the easiest types of projects to manage or keep alive. (lots of respect for Manuel for what he has achieved thus far)
The challenge will just be to moderate and coordinate this work and make a good judgement about what can or cannot go into the application in the end. This coordination is to be delegated so those that work on the features that interest you are not distracted.

In the end, if we receive contributors positively there is a chance that those contributors become more closely involved in the project and start to understand -- because of their own work -- the inner workings of makehuman better. Who knows eventually this wins us some very valuable developers that help on the core features.

You say "why don't we combine our efforts" and "let clothing be created on peoples own time". Well, I (and some others) ARE creating clothes on our own time. In fact, everyone who's working on MH is doing it on his own time, no one's getting paid. That's one of the realities of opensource software. You cannot expect anyone to fulfill your personal wishes. Everyone expects something in return for their work, whether that be eternal fame, personal satisfaction, a payment or other motives.
If you ever want to join our combined effort to develop MakeHuman, in any way that can help, we welcome you. Unfortunately there is a painful shortage of active people which slows down the release schedule considerably. Extra help is very welcome!

That being said, I agree that lately a lot of the threads on the forum are clothes-oriented. Maybe a bit too much. It would be better if things were a bit more organized, instead of 10s of threads that deal witth the same subject and hide all the rest. I hope we can fix this in the future.
Last edited by duststorm on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby robertltux » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:21 pm

"That being said, I agree that lately a lot of the threads on the forum are clothes-oriented. Maybe a bit too much. It would be better if things were a bit more organized, instead of 10s of threads that deal witth the same subject and hide all the rest. I hope we can fix this in the future."

maybe we could have a set of "sticky" threads for common subjects??
robertltux

Postby duststorm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:29 pm

robertltux wrote:maybe we could have a set of "sticky" threads for common subjects??

I think for now we can limit the clothes topics flood by just reposting in a few existing topics instead of creating new ones all the time (let's discipline ourselves a bit on this matter). But if a mod deems it appropriate to encourage us to do so by creating a sticky that's fine too.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby robertltux » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:17 pm

duststorm wrote:
robertltux wrote:maybe we could have a set of "sticky" threads for common subjects??

I think for now we can limit the clothes topics flood by just reposting in a few existing topics instead of creating new ones all the time (let's discipline ourselves a bit on this matter). But if a mod deems it appropriate to encourage us to do so by creating a sticky that's fine too.

Your opinion should the mods sticky this thread or should a "fresh" posting be made to be stickied??
robertltux

Return to User contributions