SecondLife Format

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

SecondLife Format

Postby robertltux » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:49 pm

Ive been playing with SimOnAStick and makehuman for a bit and i have made a bit of a discovery.

Currently the Dae export does work to get the mesh compatible with SecondLife but it is of course a Static Mesh (not rigged). So it does look like maybe the work in doing SL format is a bit farther along than the to-do list shows.

On a similar subject does anybody have a copy of the Avatar WorkShop rigged mesh handy?? (the original site seems to be facedown in the gutter)
robertltux

Re: SecondLife Format

Postby Manuel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:11 am

I've updated the todo :-p
Manuel

Postby robertltux » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Manuel wrote:I've updated the todo :-p

if you would like another tester just let me know
robertltux

Postby mflerackers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:32 am

There's a short description of the format here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Mesh_Asset_Format, if someone feels like it he/she can always add a python export script for it.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby robertltux » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:57 pm

I did some asking and it seems that the Avatar Mesh should be in the 6k Tris to have good perfomance i do know that the simplebot.dae thats linked in the SL wiki does work correctly does anybody know of a way to grab the bones from that and rig the MH mesh to it??
robertltux

Postby Dragon8_69 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm

A thanx and shout out to Thomas for his work on the SL makerig.
I still havent succesfully got one to work yet , got real close tho!!!
Makehuman is my favorite avatar ceation tool and i cant wait to recreate my SL avi's
Dragon8_69

Postby robertltux » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Dragon8_69 wrote:A thanx and shout out to Thomas for his work on the SL makerig.
I still havent succesfully got one to work yet , got real close tho!!!
Makehuman is my favorite avatar ceation tool and i cant wait to recreate my SL avi's

doing a basic "smoke test" if you load a DAE export it does in fact get recognized as a Rigged Mesh Avatar
(but catches fire shortly thereafter).

problems
1 the textures get lost somewhere
2 the scale is way off (like 10X i think)
3 the mesh is way too high (it works out to like 33K when SL needs it to be 10-6K)

i did post a message to the SL developers list so y'all may get a "phone call" from Linden Labs

@dragon would you like to combine efforts with the SL avs?? (email me or something)
robertltux

Postby ThomasL » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:26 am

robertltux wrote:1 the textures get lost somewhere
3 the mesh is way too high (it works out to like 33K when SL needs it to be 10-6K)

1. Apparently textures have not worked with Collada export for quite some time. Working on that.

2. MH's native units are decimeters; the base mesh is some 16.8 dm tall. The dae file declares the units in the header, but perhaps SL ignores that declaration, or maybe there is something wrong with it. The obvious solution is to add a scale option in the export box.

3. You mean high-poly, right? Did you try Rorkimaru's proxy?

It is probably a good idea to import the mesh into Blender and delete verts hidden by clothes. You can also join the meshes. However, you can not add verts or faces, lest the uv's be messed up.

Question: does SL require collada, or would it work with obj+bvh as well?
ThomasL

Postby robertltux » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:23 pm

ThomasL wrote:
robertltux wrote:1 the textures get lost somewhere

3. You mean high-poly, right? Did you try Rorkimaru's proxy?

It is probably a good idea to import the mesh into Blender and delete verts hidden by clothes. You can also join the meshes. However, you can not add verts or faces, lest the uv's be messed up.

Question: does SL require collada, or would it work with obj+bvh as well?

yes was going for a worst case type setup (trying to break things badly)

and SL only can use DAE format
robertltux

Postby Dragon8_69 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:22 pm

I would like to help or add in any way i can,
my knowlage and resources are limited but i will do the best i can with what i have.

here is my email bruxxx692001@yahoo.com
Dragon8_69

Next

Return to User contributions