Import models into MH for reference?

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Import models into MH for reference?

Postby bwansy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:44 am

First of all, hello everyone. This is my first post, and I would like to make some suggestions here.

It would be great of MH can import existing models that act as a reference, which is useful is people want to model two or more people interacting with each other, for example, shaking hands or hugging (or fighting :twisted: ).

Also, I would like to comment on deformations. Currently, I think MH's morphs are too European-based. No matter how I adjust the parameters, the model still look way too muscular to be an Asian, and the "female" faces just look too masculine. I know that in the latest MH, the targets are incomplete, but in the older version I still couldn't create the desired effect.
bwansy

Re: Import models into MH for reference?

Postby Sethren » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:40 am

The current version allows you to import a backround image from a photo but i don't know how hard it is to use because i have not used that part yet.

The developers are supposed to place the morphs back in that we were used to using but i believe they had to fix many of the morphs in order to work with the new mesh and remove the non-sense morphs as well. This time we are supposed to get some very nice fantasy morphs as well. I hope many more ethnic morphs are added but even more nifty would be a GUI for Ethnic morphs like the Tetra-parametric GUI. Although the problem with this is what if you wanted a erasian mix with some negro thrown in. Perhaps drawing inside a graph with the ethnic groups in selected zones using your mouse to fill in certain areas of a ethnicity so that mixing could be done in any manner possible. I don't know, it is hard to visualize at the moment.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_h5L0bq0pIhY/R0F ... ation1.jpg

http://bp1.blogger.com/_h5L0bq0pIhY/R0F ... /img-3.png

http://www.rafonda.com/assets/images/fig.2.3.542pop.jpg
Sethren

Postby Sethren » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:56 am

Shoot, i can't edit a post?

I think the GUI idea i had would not work. I thought about it. Tried drawing it and it's silly. :roll:

Best we just have many morphs with all unique ethnic groups like the ones i had linked to in my previous post. That way each and any morph based on a ethnicity could be mixed with ease. To bad there are not any good visual charts each showing the ethnic groups but i can't find any on the net.
Sethren

Postby Manuel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:33 am

bwansy wrote:First of all, hello everyone. This is my first post, and I would like to make some suggestions here.

It would be great of MH can import existing models that act as a reference, which is useful is people want to model two or more people interacting with each other, for example, shaking hands or hugging (or fighting :twisted: ).

Also, I would like to comment on deformations. Currently, I think MH's morphs are too European-based. No matter how I adjust the parameters, the model still look way too muscular to be an Asian, and the "female" faces just look too masculine. I know that in the latest MH, the targets are incomplete, but in the older version I still couldn't create the desired effect.

Actually MH can't import other models, but we are working on this feature too.
About lacks of targets, we need to find some serious artists to help the project.

Regards,

Manuel

@Sethren: very interesting graphs. Can you tell me the source?
Manuel

Postby Sethren » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 am

Importing models, interesting.

Gosh, if i knew Blender i'd love to help make more targets.

I'm confused i thought most of the new re-worked targets were mostly done judging from i read on the older development blogs.

As far as the sources go all i really did was use key words like Ethnic, Race etc. in Google and i'd find these graphs but i did not find any official sources. Wikipedia may have some more information perhaps.
Sethren

Postby pistacja » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:12 am

If making an import script takes too much time, how about a option to add basic primitives (plane, cube, cone, sphere) that one can move and scale? That would make posing a lot easer because the grid is sometimes not enough (don't know if only I had this problem but it turned out that some of the poses I've made didn't touch the ground with both feet - and I've noticed that only after importing the mesh to 3dsmax)
This post was made thanks to Me, Myself and I.
pistacja

Postby xpundx » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:21 pm

Hello Manuel

Manuel wrote:
About lacks of targets, we need to find some serious artists to help the project.

Regards,

Manuel

For earlier versions of makehuman, maketarget was available to everyone. I don't know if you were deluged with too many duplicated or low quality targets that the task of selecting targets for makehuman became overwelming in itself but might I suguest that a gallery containing targets that members could submit and select by vote as being worthy of use in makehuman be considered. Of course the final decision as to their use would be up to the makehuman team but this would reduce the work for the makehuman team (as far as targets are concerned) and get more people involved in the project.

Win / win IMHO

Tim
xpundx

Postby Manuel » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:31 pm

xpundx wrote:Hello Manuel

For earlier versions of makehuman, maketarget was available to everyone. I don't know if you were deluged with too many duplicated or low quality targets that the task of selecting targets for makehuman became overwelming in itself but might I suguest that a gallery containing targets that members could submit and select by vote as being worthy of use in makehuman be considered. Of course the final decision as to their use would be up to the makehuman team but this would reduce the work for the makehuman team (as far as targets are concerned) and get more people involved in the project.

Win / win IMHO

Tim

Yes. This is a good idea. New MH "proto" will be available in next 2 months, anyway in mean time we can release
an intermediate makeTarget for Blender.
Ciao,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby bwansy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

As for custom targets, is it possible to make them into "add-ons" that users can download from a gallery, install (put into a specific target) and remove freely, instead of being hard-coded into MH? Of course the dev. team can select the most worthy ones to be included in the default package.
From my experience, user contribution often plays a significant role in independent projects.
bwansy

Postby Lumin8 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:01 pm

Manuel wrote:

Actually MH can't import other models, but we are working on this feature too.

If I understand completely what you're saying about object import... would there also be another way to create the targets without using blender? I understand somewhat how it works, but why should the targets be only tied down to blender format?? or are they?? I guess... would it work if I, say, did the morphing (no subdivision added, of course) in zbrush and brought it into blender and somehow exported the geo info into MH? would certainly have to be part by part I realize. If it's at all possible (I'm not sure why it wouldn't be... at least in theory.) I'd actually be interested in helping with all sorts of morphs. I haven't downloaded the latest version yet, but will as soon as I get to where my broadband connect is at another station.
Lumin8

Next

Return to User contributions