german localization

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

german localization

Postby frosch » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I`ve startet to translate MH into german language. Attached to this post is a german.ini in a zip folder which you can extract into your language folder. I run in to a issue with the "Umlaut ä ö ü ... " does anybody know how to fix it?

cheers, frosch
Attachments
german.zip
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
frosch

Re: german localization

Postby andy8222 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi frosch,

looks like we both got the same idea. ;)

Are you a German native speaker? Cause I am and I am also already working on my file.

I appreciate your effords, but to be honest your file looks more than a word-to-word translation than getting the correct meaning.

So how should we do, finish our files both and let the developers decide which file they want to include officially? Cause no one needs 2 German language files...

Greetings, Andy
andy8222

Postby mflerackers » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:55 am

Regarding the umlauts and other non-ascii characters. Make sure your editor is set to utf8 and prepend an u in front of the string u"ä ö ü" to tell python that it contains unicode.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby frosch » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi,
yes you are right, im a native german, but I think we should discus in english so other people can follow along. About the translation - I am orienting an another 3D Program called C4D which is availlable in a lot of languages. For example move, rotate are verschieben, drehen. For some Group headers I tried to find a Word wich is more associable for an nativ german. We may discuss details if you want - ask me.

I saved the file in UTF-8 format but I don't know why MH ist doing this wrong. I'm working on a ubuntu oneiric and my editor is gedit - maybe there will be the bug ;)

cheers frosch
frosch

Postby mflerackers » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:07 pm

What exactly is wrong? Do you see blocks instead of characters, or is there an error?
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby frosch » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:00 am

Hi mflerackers

thanks a lot - i got you wrong with this u-thing. I'm ususally programming in C so i have no idea how python interpretes strings. Now I found where I was going wrong, corrected and expanded the file. The attachment includes the new version - still incomplete but much better I think ;) I try to finish the translation this week.

cheers frosch
Attachments
german2.zip
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
frosch

Postby andy8222 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Seems like I have to stop working on my own german language file then. As I already said, there's no need for having 2 german language files around and I was kicked out of the game by someone who was a little faster than me.

Let me give at least some hints:

Tone':u'Ton', Wrong, the right translation is "Muskeln" or "Muskulatur", I think
'Dutch':u'Netherlands', The right translation is "Holländisch"
'Measure':u'Messen', The right translation is "Maße" or "Körpermaße"
'Brassiere size':u'Brassiere Größe', Right translation: "BH-Größe" or "Körbchengröße"
'Opacity':u'Durchlässigkeit', Better, I think: "Transparenz"
'Rescan targets´folder':u'Morphziele neu einlesen', That line has to be removed completely or the file will not work, at least in windows
'Niloid':u'Ägypter', Completely wrong, the right translation is "Nilot" and even the English word is written wrong, it is "Nilotid"
'Pigmy':u'Pygmuäe', German: "Pygmäe" without the u
andy8222

Postby frosch » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi andy8222

I dont want to kick you out of the game. Your hints are very helpfull and its good to discuss such things. Together we can build a language file thats usefull for all german users. Its not important who wrote the file, ists important that it gets ready and has a good quality. We both know that we wont win a price for this thing, but we can help a lot of people have an easy access to this software. Come on - take a look at my files and correct me if its neccesary.

cheers frosch

PS: did you read the book "Just for Fun" from Linus Torvalds and David Diamond? It describes the real spirit of open source software. We should work togeter to reach goals. Here is the goal makin MH better than any propriatary software.
frosch

Postby andy8222 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi frosch,

although I didn't read the book you mentioned I'll assist you with my ideas.

You might already know this, but before you release your file, you should do the following:

- Download the latest nightly build of makehuman, put your language file and see if you file works with it, look for new, changed or removed features
- Check your translation for spelling or grammatical errors
- Start makehuman with your file and try to think as someone who does not know the english terms. Can everything be understood well?
- See if you might have to do some shortening

Now the details:

- "Asian" you translated with "Asiatisch" so why not also translating "Afro" with "Afrikanisch"
- "Reset" I wanted to translate as "Zurücksetzen" though it is too long, so that might not be changed
- "Files" must be translated as "Dateien"
- "Bibliothek" is not a good translation for "library", my suggestion: "Katalog"
- "Hair" -> "Haare"
- "Genitalia" is better translated as "Geschlechtsorgane"
- "Breast" I wanted to translate as "Brüste", makes more sense in my opinion cause only for females
- "Censor" might be translated as "Jugendschutz" cause that is the purpose but might also be left how it is now
- "Mosaic" ist better translated as "Verpixelt" or something like that
- "By muscle" -> "Nach Muskeln" or "Nach Muskulatur"
- "Request feature" is better translated as "Funktion vorschlagen"
- "Background settings" -> "Hintergrundeinstellungen" or "Hintergrundoptionen"
- "Pelvis tone", my translation for it was "Beckenmuskulatur"
- "Hintern" is not a good word to be in any software, too much slang, better is the antatomically correct word "Gesäß"
- "Anaglyphs" I translated very free as "3D-Brille"
- "Skeleton" -> "Skelett"
- "Check for updates" I translated as "Nach Updates suchen", or even better "Nach Aktualisierungen suchen"
- "Expression" should be translated as "Gesichtsausdruck", only "Ausdruck" is not very good I think
- "Grin" -> "Grinsend" cause all the expressions should be adjectives

And finally, regarding the ethnics I am not very happy with your translations for "Aethiopid", "Center" and "Sudanid". These English terms describe not names of countries, they describe a ethnic group of people that can be found in different countries like also the Nilotid, Bantu and Khoisan people do not only live in one country. Also, your translation is only matching for male humans and not for females. Unfortunally, I am not a anthropologist and I have no idea how these three ethnics can be translated better, so they might be left how they are now. Any idea how to solve this?

Have fun,

Andy
andy8222

Postby frosch » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Hi Andy,

thanks a lot - these are very usefull translations and Ideas. And I'm very glad that you will work with me. Today I've installed the new nightly build and checked severel things. It seems to work even in the new build. For the expressens I did as you described and I found that a lot of targets produce the same expression. So I did a very free "translation" to get the right meaning of the expression.

In your translation there are a view very long vocabularies - I try to fit them into the GUI, but I think I have to shorten some.

I think the we should not translate the ethnies. Bantu f.e. goes to Subsahara Afrikaner, Aethiopid goes to Ostafrikaner, Khoisan is a mix between the San and the Kohikoi wich are Buschmänner and Hottentotten. Nilot are Ostsudanesen. The order of the english version ist the language group and I think thats ok. What do you think about this?

Tomorrow I start to rework the translation file and hope to post it till the end of this week.

Cheers frosch
frosch

Next

Return to User contributions