Announcement: Working on a German language file

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Announcement: Working on a German language file

Postby andy8222 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I wanted to announce that I'm actually working on a German language file for makehuman. Now I need to know, what should I do with the file when I'm finished, post it here in the forum, send it to someone personally? It would be very nice if my file would be included in official releases/nightlies so every German user can enjoy my translation.

Greetings, Andy
andy8222

Re: Announcement: Working on a German language file

Postby joepal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi, I'll cross-post this on the dev internal mailing list.

If no-one contacts you, you can always mail the file to me at joepal1976@hotmail.com and I'll force someone to deal with it. :)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Manuel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 pm

andy8222 wrote:Hi everyone,

I wanted to announce that I'm actually working on a German language file for makehuman. Now I need to know, what should I do with the file when I'm finished, post it here in the forum, send it to someone personally? It would be very nice if my file would be included in official releases/nightlies so every German user can enjoy my translation.

Greetings, Andy

Check your mailbox..
Manuel

Question

Postby andy8222 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:01 pm

I have. Thanks for your nice message, Manuel! I send you the file when I'm finished which will still take some days. Days, I hope and not weeks :D

Meanwhle, I have a question. When I look at the Danish or Japanese language file, a typical line would look like this:

'Weight':u'Gewicht',

Now I ask, is the "u" letter before the translated word in any way necessary? On my windows XP, my language file even runs without the "u". So should I write the "u" in every line or can I leave them away?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I saw that the boxes for undo, redo and default are too small cause in German the words for that are much longer. So maybe the boxes can be enlarged?

Greetings, Andy
andy8222

Postby mflerackers » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:50 pm

The u stands for unicode. I started with Japanese, which doesn't work with ascii, so I made only use of unicode strings. You may leave them or remove them, but you might get problems with Umlaut or Eszett depending on your editor.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

More issues

Postby andy8222 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:21 pm

So I'll do like this: For the lines that include Umlaute or Eszett I make use of the "u" and in all the other lines I leave the "u" away.

Two more issues:

- When I try including a line like "Rescan target's folder" my language file corrupts cause of the ' in the English text
- All the measurement details do not work, I get for example a line from the german.missing like this with a default value: 'Lowerleg height: 48.7 cm':'',
andy8222

Postby mflerackers » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:58 am

You don't need to translate the measurement text yet, since we are still working on making those strings translatable. Regarding the ', we will just rename the English text.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Return to User contributions