Dental Work

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Dental Work

Postby VSA » Tue May 31, 2011 11:49 pm

A couple of weeks ago I was working on a female model and I finally reached the point of posing the smile. Unfortunately, the front teeth top and bottom were... well.. I think she spent her (the model) childhood as a bum because the front teeth were in serious need of attention. I've looked at a fair number of people now and most of them have the bottoms or tops of their front teeth flat depending on how you look at it. (top front 4 and bottom front 4). The second problem I had was the teeth were too large. I fixed the meshes in Blender.

What I would suggest is to correct the front teeth geometry and add 2 vertex groups in blender. One group for just the teeth and the other for the gums and teeth. The gums and teeth group would allow me to quickly scale it to the right size and the teeth group would allow me to assign a material easily to the teeth alone. They should look like they are wet.

My goal in finishing a model is to have it look 100% real. I'm getting close, but I'm not there yet. I worked with the MH program for a while now and I'm impressed with the huge progress you continue make in this project. I've tweaked your textures and UV maps to put the skin in the right places on the knees and hands. Skin pores and realistic hair are still challenging. Do you find the aqsis renderer to be better than yafaray? I've never used aqsis.
VSA
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:13 am

Re: Dental Work

Postby Manuel » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 am

Yes, we know teeth are not perfect.
I'll refine them using some dental scan as reference, as sson the modelling of new characters will be finished.

About skin, if you are using alpha6, the texture is just a dummy for rendering test. Using new images we are developing (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1769) the result are much better (and this is nothing, the real thing will be when we start to use the displacement).

Aqsis is a good engine, and often the team support us with a direct collaboration. The images in the thread above are rendered in a couple of minutes, so it's good for a fast output. We want to support other engines too (Luxrender, and even Povray) but actually we have lack of resources :-(

Yes, the hairs are a challenge. We need very skilled artist in order to provide a library of professional haircuts. But again, lack of resources. :(

Best,

Manuel
Manuel
 

Re: Dental Work

Postby VSA » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:35 pm

Would it help if I sent you my updated teeth and gums. Can you grab an updated vertex list from them?

I've had problems with hair meshes in that if viewed from the wrong angle they disappear - eyelashes are an example of this problem. It seems a hair mesh with a thickness would eliminate this problem. The other problem I have found is many hair textures have a built-in shine that don't correspond to the light that is shining on them. Do you have any examples of good or great quality hair meshes that can be viewed in blender. The existing hair meshes in MH seem to have a problem with the alpha channel and seem to have a film on a few of the meshes. I wouldn't mind helping with the hair mesh issue, but it would be nice to see an example of one that is nearly perfect from all angles to avoid pioneering new ground that may have been already discovered.

Rob
VSA
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:13 am

Re: Dental Work

Postby Manuel » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:03 pm

VSA wrote:Would it help if I sent you my updated teeth and gums. Can you grab an updated vertex list from them?


If you haven't deleted or added vertices, I can even obtain a target from it. So, it will be interesting to look at them.

VSA wrote:I've had problems with hair meshes in that if viewed from the wrong angle they disappear - eyelashes are an example of this problem.


Maybe in future we will use poly eyelashes.

VSA wrote:It seems a hair mesh with a thickness would eliminate this problem. The other problem I have found is many hair textures have a built-in shine that don't correspond to the light that is shining on them. Do you have any examples of good or great quality hair meshes that can be viewed in blender. The existing hair meshes in MH seem to have a problem with the alpha channel and seem to have a film on a few of the meshes. I wouldn't mind helping with the hair mesh issue, but it would be nice to see an example of one that is nearly perfect from all angles to avoid pioneering new ground that may have been already discovered.


You have to use the shadeless option in Blender material. Of course, it's a trick.

Best,

Manuel

Rob
Manuel
 

Re: Dental Work

Postby VSA » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:21 pm

I haven't deleted or added any vertices. Where would you want them sent?

Rob
VSA
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:13 am

Re: Dental Work

Postby Manuel » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:24 pm

VSA wrote:I haven't deleted or added any vertices. Where would you want them sent?

Rob


You can attach them here, or send them to info@makehuman.org
Thanks,

Manuel
Manuel
 

Re: Dental Work

Postby VSA » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Picture of Updated teeth in Model. I'll send the blend file shortly.
teeth.png
VSA
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:13 am

Re: Dental Work

Postby brkurt » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:16 pm

VSA wrote:
What I would suggest is to correct the front teeth geometry and add 2 vertex groups in blender. One group for just the teeth and the other for the gums and teeth. The gums and teeth group would allow me to quickly scale it to the right size and the teeth group would allow me to assign a material easily to the teeth alone. They should look like they are wet.


I always add these vertex groups: upperDentures; lowerDentures; upperGums; lowerGums. I then create a bone called innerJaw, and combine lowerDentures with lowerGums to create the innerJaw vertex group.

You may not have noticed this yet, but when you begin to use visemes to create mouth shapes for speaking (and singing) you will need to make fine position changes to the lower dentures and tongue.

I find this vertex group/ posing approach to be the most flexible and adaptive, because shape keys can be used for fine changes (such as emotional expressions) while speaking and singing.
brkurt
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:49 pm


Return to User contributions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest