More informative slider Labels

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

More informative slider Labels

Postby workinprogress » Wed May 18, 2011 7:54 am

I've been following the nightly builds for Linux, and occasionally exploring to see what new changes have been made, and I have a suggestion.

I would like to see more informative labeling on the modeling sliders for the face. Something that lets us know what the slider is meant to control. Nose 1, Nose 2, Nose 3 , etc. are not really descriptive labels and tell me nothing helpful. A label like " nostril width" or "Nose , bridge thickness " "Nose tip, hight, up" or "Nose tip, scale diameter" "Nose tip, scale, shrink" would tell me something I can understand. I need to see what the sliders control, and how far I can take the changes that I want to make with each sliding morph control. For example, If there is a slider for modeling just the chin, changing it's position, and shape, I can't hope to recognize it the way the sliders are labeled now, without a lot of trial and error. I think more descriptive labels would help eliminate some confusion and make things easier to find.

Would using longer slider labels be a problem?
Workinprogress
workinprogress

Re: More informative slider Labels

Postby mflerackers » Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 am

Every slider morphs between different types of noses, eyes, etc. Not features of a nose or eye, but a totally different one. So it's really hard to put labels on them.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby Manuel » Wed May 18, 2011 8:19 am

We are working on this issue. The solution will play with two factors.

1) Have (mainly) more general modelling features instead a full model change (for example, nose width instead a completely different nose).
2) Have a thumbnail preview for each slider.

Best,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby workinprogress » Fri May 20, 2011 9:44 am

Thank you for your replies, I have been wondering about this issue for a while.
A lot is changing in MakeHuman, and it's all very exciting,unfortunately it can be a little confusing to.
knowing that the sliders are sort of morphing between one version a feature and another is helpful...and I'm glad to hear there are plans being considered for using another technique, that will change characteristics of the features rather than whole features themselves like noses and eyes.

I don't know if the thumbnail preview would really be needed once you changed things to allow sliders to control Feature characteristics, like nostril width (rather than just morphing between nose 1 and nose 2)
and had informative labeling in place, but it is an interesting idea.
Workinprogress
workinprogress

Postby Manuel » Wed May 25, 2011 12:55 pm

workinprogress wrote:
I don't know if the thumbnail preview would really be needed once you changed things to allow sliders to control Feature characteristics, like nostril width (rather than just morphing between nose 1 and nose 2)
and had informative labeling in place, but it is an interesting idea.

Yes, the thumbnails will be helpful because some features are really hard to describe using words only.
I'll work on them as soon as I complete the refactoring of base models.
best,

Manuel
Manuel

Return to User contributions