hairtool to blender proof of concept

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

hairtool to blender proof of concept

Postby jujube » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:22 pm

Quick proof of concept: I make a scalp mesh from a roundcube, grew 10 particle hairs out of it, and created a mesh with child hairs via HairTool (unfortunately a paid addon, but worth the cost IMO).

(There's a way to have hairtool generate hair from combed particle hair but I haven't mastered it yet...)

I compiled the hair as clothing on the "default" (caucasian) male mesh. I did a quick and careless job of converting it to clothes since it's just a proof of concept, so I'm uploading the obj here in case anyone else wants to play with it.

And if anyone has particle hair that they want converted to mesh, send the blend file to me and I might get around to converting it.
Attachments
animehair.obj
(991.22 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
hair_untextured.PNG
mangled.PNG
when you compile it on the "base mesh", and open it in MH, it does this
hairgood.PNG
normally behaving clothes
animehair.png
hairnodes.PNG
For anyone who doesn't know how to do transparency in cycles.
jujube

Re: hairtool to blender proof of concept

Postby jujube » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Combed particle hair converted to mesh w/child hairs, 24000 verts. It turns out you can hide the fact that you only have 1000 hairs on your head if you make them glow hard enough.

Edit: Something important that I discovered: When converting particle hair via HairTool, you can only convert the parent hairs. HairTool can generate child hairs, but the total amount of generated hairs is capped at 2000. (If you take a set of particle hairs with more than 2000 parent hairs and create child hairs via HairTool, it will reduce it to 2000) So if you wanted the mesh hair to look exactly like (realistic) particle hair, the original particle hair would have to have a realistic amount of parent particle hairs, all manually combed.

(Hmm, or create a hairstyle in segments. Google says there are 100,000 hairs on a human head. I think something like 10,000 hairs will do in CG, but that would still require 500 separate particle systems. Basically, realistic particle hair isn't feasible in makehuman yet. Stylized polygon hair is the best option.)
Attachments
animehairfine.obj
(2.18 MiB) Downloaded 467 times
what does the scouter say.png
anime levels increasing4.png
jujube

Return to User contributions