Contributing Blender armature for Ascottk mesh (nudity)

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Contributing Blender armature for Ascottk mesh (nudity)

Postby jb33317 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:27 am

First I want to give thanks to the MakeHuman team for their work. MH is a great program. I cant wait to see what the Michelangelo tools are. Also the creature factory sounds interesting.

The .blend file I attached below contains a simple armature for the Ascottk low poly mesh. It can be used for the other low poly exports too, as long as they have vertice groups with the same name as the armature bones.

Heres a quick render of the Ascottk mesh posed with the armature I made:

There are some bad deforms though. I tried fixing them with weight painting but I just don't seem to get how to do it. I made such a mess out of the vertices that I had to close and restart from my last save :o . Could someone help me with the weight painting? The images below show off some bad deforms I noticed. There may be more but I haven't noticed them yet.

Elbow:

Back of Head:

Hips (lifting leg for kick motion):

Bending Knee:

Shoulder deform when bringing arm down:

Edit: Oops. I forgot the most important part. The .blend file attachment. I couldn't attach a .blend file for some reason so I put it in a .zip archive.

2nd Edit: Just thought I should add this in for anyone who downloads the .blend file. When I saved the file the Rotation/Scaling Pivot was set to 3D cursor. Make sure to set it back to something like Median Point. I should have done this before uploading the file to avoid confusion.
Attachments
armature.zip
(143.25 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
jb33317

Re: Contributing Blender armature for Ascottk mesh (nudity)

Postby jb33317 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:57 am

I starting weight painting a bit. I'm kinda understanding how to do it but its still time consuming and difficult. I got the back of the head deforming correctly when the head is tilted back. I tried my luck with the shoulders and arms but it was even more difficult. Changing the weights in one pose could negatively effect how the deformation looks in another pose. So aggravating :evil: . Maybe I should look at the way the high res .mhx mesh & armature are weight painted for reference. Hopefully the weight painting will transfer nicely to the low poly mesh.
jb33317

Re: Contributing Blender armature for Ascottk mesh (nudity)

Postby orindoomhammer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:00 am

for the arms i have found many problems myself and i build custom rigs, the way around some of the problems with the arms is a 4 joint arm one at the elbow and 3 just befor the wrist. where you disconnect them and move the arm strate to the wrist( i call them wrist locks) im using max so im not sure how to do this in blender, but after that you link the bones to the forarm again only in about half way down the arm and wire them to turn using the wrist's as the driver for the rotation wrist lock 1 would be driven with a value of *.8 or so and then for 2 it would be *.5 then for 3 *.2 it keeps the arm from twisting up and shrinking when the wrist twists. ill show you an example of it again not sure if blender does wire parimaters like max does where one bone would control another directly and not just by linking but its a start.

Ok in this set up you see the bones in the forearm and the forearm bone in my rig the wrist is the middle finger bone but its attached directly to the hand control and all the bones in the hand are linked to the middle finger bone the wrist locks are linked to the forearm as well as the hand controller, the wrist-locks are driven by the hand bones rotation only so when you twist it left or right they twist at the same time with less of a value giving a more natural look to the twist of the for arm. the upper wrist parts would be skinned to the wrist locks instead of the forearm but the elbow area would be directly influenced by the forearm bone, again not sure how you would do that in blender as i dont use blender but thats the concept i hope its helpfull.
Attachments
forarmbones.jpg
orindoomhammer

Return to User contributions