Is someone able to make a custom hairstyle?

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Is someone able to make a custom hairstyle?

Postby SalvoSoftware » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi guys, I'm having troubles with creating an hair style.

I have a 3D model (it's in attachment in case you want to examine it, or try to create an hair style yourself) but I can't import it in MakeHuman using blender. :(
I import the model, I position it correctly and do all the stuff, I press "Make Clothes" and it exports correctly with just a few warning messages. What's wrong then? Well, look at this:

[2017-11-06 19:37:35,641] logging->info():1622 -- MESSAGE -- Selecting proxy file "D:/Documenti/makehuman/v1/data/hair\groupname.001\groupname.001.mhclo" from hair library.
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,641] logging->info():1622 -- MESSAGE -- compiled proxy file missing: D:/Documenti/makehuman/v1/data/hair\groupname.001\groupname.001.mhpxy
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,641] logging->warning():1612 -- WARNING -- Problem loading binary proxy: ('compiled proxy file missing: %s', u'D:/Documenti/makehuman/v1/data/hair\\groupname.001\\groupname.001.mhpxy')
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,644] logging->debug():1630 -- DEBUG -- Loading proxy file: D:/Documenti/makehuman/v1/data/hair\groupname.001\groupname.001.mhclo.
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,681] logging->info():1622 -- MESSAGE -- Compiling binary proxy file D:/Documenti/makehuman/v1/data/hair\groupname.001\groupname.001.mhpxy
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,723] logging->info():1622 -- MESSAGE -- compiled file missing: D:/Documenti/makehuman/v1/data/hair/groupname.001/groupname.001.npz
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,723] logging->warning():1612 -- WARNING -- Problem loading binary mesh: ('compiled file missing: %s', u'D:/Documenti/makehuman/v1/data/hair/groupname.001/groupname.001.npz')
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,724] logging->debug():1630 -- DEBUG -- Loading ASCII mesh D:/Documenti/makehuman/v1/data/hair/groupname.001/groupname.001.obj.
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,776] logging->error():1596 -- ERROR -- Failed to index faces of mesh unnamed_object1, you are probably loading a mesh with mixed nb of verts per face (do not mix tris and quads). Or your mesh has too many faces attached to one vertex (the maximum is 8-poles). In the second case, either increase MAX_FACES for this mesh, or improve the mesh topology. Original error message: (<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>) could not broadcast input array from shape (9) into shape (8)
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,779] logging->error():1596 -- ERROR -- Unable to load obj file: D:/Documenti/makehuman/v1/data/hair/groupname.001/groupname.001.obj
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\files3d", line 206, in loadMesh
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\files3d", line 165, in loadTextMesh
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\wavefront", line 148, in loadObjFile
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\module3d", line 642, in setFaces
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\module3d", line 712, in _update_faces
RuntimeError: Incompatible mesh topology.
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,782] logging->error():1596 -- ERROR -- Failed to load D:/Documenti/makehuman/v1/data/hair/groupname.001/groupname.001.obj
[2017-11-06 19:37:35,782] logging->warning():1612 -- WARNING -- Exception during event onFileSelected
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\events3d", line 211, in callEvent
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\proxychooser", line 163, in onFileSelected
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\proxychooser", line 240, in proxyFileSelected
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\mhmain", line 856, in do
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\proxychooser", line 60, in do
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\proxychooser", line 308, in selectProxy
File "c:\jenkins\workspace\Windows_release_11x\buildscripts\win32\build\makehuman\out00-PYZ.pyz\proxy", line 166, in loadMeshAndObject
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'priority'

It doesn't loads on MakeHuman and the log outputs this long message. I've tried to change the "max_pole" value but doesn't help, also I've tried the function "untriangulate" (to convert tris to quads) but now Blender doesn't let me export the clothe because it says there are both quads and tris.

Do you have an idea of how to do it? Did you already managed to make one?
My plan B is eventually to start from a pre-existing model and manipulate it, but it's not exactly my original plan... :?

P.S.: Is this the right section?
Attachments
short_hairs.obj
(275.9 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
SalvoSoftware

Re: Is someone able to make a custom hairstyle?

Postby punkduck » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:46 pm

SalvoSoftware wrote:Hi guys, I'm having troubles with creating an hair style.

I have a 3D model (it's in attachment in case you want to examine it, or try to create an hair style yourself) but I can't import it in MakeHuman using blender. :(
I import the model, I position it correctly and do all the stuff, I press "Make Clothes" and it exports correctly with just a few warning messages. What's wrong then? Well, look at this:

[2017-11-06 19:37:35,776] logging->error():1596 -- ERROR -- Failed to index faces of mesh unnamed_object1, you are probably loading a mesh with mixed nb of verts per face (do not mix tris and quads). Or your mesh has too many faces attached to one vertex (the maximum is 8-poles). In the second case, either increase MAX_FACES for this mesh, or improve the mesh topology. Original error message: (<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>) could not broadcast input array from shape (9) into shape (8)

It doesn't loads on MakeHuman and the log outputs this long message. I've tried to change the "max_pole" value but doesn't help, also I've tried the function "untriangulate" (to convert tris to quads) but now Blender doesn't let me export the clothe because it says there are both quads and tris.

Do you have an idea of how to do it? Did you already managed to make one?
My plan B is eventually to start from a pre-existing model and manipulate it, but it's not exactly my original plan... :?

P.S.: Is this the right section?

It is one of these weird errors. Welcome to the club. 8-)

But I know this problem, just for fun I tried to convert some of the hairstyles from smutba.se to MH. After solving all "more than 8" poles errors in Blender I got the same problem when I load the new hairstyles using triangles in MakeHuman. I guess you gave up after changing max_poles 2 times ;) . Take an editor and change max_poles in the .mhclo file to 16 ... then it should load. :mrgreen:

When you try to change triangels to quads in Blender ... there are always some triangles left. I never was successful with that. It means to recreate the asset ... no fun, I know.
punkduck

Postby SalvoSoftware » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Thank you! Now it works! :o

paulette_mh.jpg

I only had to fix normals and the hairs was working, I didn't had to rig, to set up weights or do any complicated thing. It's a very simple process (once you've fixed these kind of problems), I'm wondering why there aren't many assets available... :?
SalvoSoftware

Postby punkduck » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:23 pm

SalvoSoftware wrote:Thank you! Now it works! :o

I only had to fix normals and the hairs was working, I didn't had to rig, to set up weights or do any complicated thing. It's a very simple process (once you've fixed these kind of problems), I'm wondering why there aren't many assets available... :?

Well for the assets I've done nearly a 100, mostly clothes. :shock:
For me it is fun to do outfits for females, cosplay-characters etc.

But hairstyles ... hmmm ... :?

I've only converted the old Alpha-7 hairstyles for the MH team. In the beginning I had polygon hairstyles for my girls also (see http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13688&start=2), but I switched to strand hair in Blender for a more natural look. We (Mindfront, wolgade, o4saken, DredNicolson & myself) added a few tutorials how to use it. I know, it does not make sense for games and other systems, but now we are able to comb it in different ways, pose the character and the hair is not glued to the back ...

Nevertheless: I played around with some hairstyles designed for other systems, but when I convert these hairstyles to MH and will upload it into the assets I will get into copyright problems, I guess these hairstyles are not really free. But I can show an example what it looks like on my MH character:

angelica_hairdo.jpg
punkduck

Postby learning » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:32 pm

I have created a thread several years ago for assets that do not come with "free as in freedom" license (though they are still "free as in free beer", I'll be damned if I pay for 3d models): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13316 By default they come as "free for personal use". For the last 2 or 3 years nobody targeted me with any copyright claims, so I suppose I'm not technically breaking the "personal use" clause. I think it would be ok if you post things you "scavenge" from some other software and adapt for MH there as well.
learning

Postby FreezyChanMMD » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Just steal it from another like the rest of us do.
stop being a liberal snowflake
FreezyChanMMD

Return to User contributions