Material setup for skin male african middleage in Cycles

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Material setup for skin male african middleage in Cycles

Postby Mindfront » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:04 pm

I have prepared a blend file containing the Blender Cycles skin material I created specially for my "skin male african middleage" texture
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/skin/ ... leage.html
it uses Subsurface Scattering but that can be turned off.

It also containing the eye material I created for my MakeHuman characters, and is prepared for using a HDRi background.
Instructions is embedded as text in the blend file.

The file does not include any textures only material and node groups.

Edit 2018-02-13
This skin material is obsolete and a new better is here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15545
End edit
Attachments
Skin_male_african_middleage.blend
Skin material for "skin male african middleage" in Blender Cycles
(769.38 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
Last edited by Mindfront on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mindfront

Re: Material setup for skin male african middleage in Cycles

Postby wolgade » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks for sharing. I always learn a lot from other people's node setup.
wolgade

Postby joepal » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 pm

I wonder if it'd be possible to share node setups in an efficient way in the user repos?

Is there a way to export a single material or do one have to upload the entire blend file?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Mindfront » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:06 pm

That would be great if one could share the Blender Cycles material together with the asset. So far I know the whole blend file is necessary when sharing material but perhaps there are some tricks to export a material as separate file. Maybe add a "Optional blend file" slot?
Mindfront

Postby wolgade » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:59 pm

joepal wrote:I wonder if it'd be possible to share node setups in an efficient way in the user repos?

This would be great. If I have a look at some material libraries you find on blendswap, they all share blend files. I guess, that's the only way to do it. What's wrong about it? If it's done correctly you have a default cube and a bunch of materials with fake users in that file. Shouldn't require too much disk space. You could explore other people's node setups and learn quite a lot.
wolgade

Postby joepal » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:59 am

It just makes something in me cringe. Blend files are binary blobs and they contain lots of redundant data. This makes it hard to, for example, put them in revision control. Also, there's no way to check that an uploaded blend file does not contain malign code that auto-executes as soon as a user opens it. Everyone who uses MHX has checked the "auto-run python" checkbox.

I'd feel better if it was possible to dump an xml or json file with only the material info. That would solve all the above.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby wolgade » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:25 pm

joepal wrote:Everyone who uses MHX has checked the "auto-run python" checkbox.

This problem is not limited to node setups. I always have to trust the author of a blend file, but yes, it's a problem.
I'd feel better if it was possible to dump an xml or json file with only the material info. That would solve all the above.

This should be possible, but it's just another blender addon that needs maintenance when Blender API changes. Remember the trouble we had with old MHX?
wolgade

Postby joepal » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:29 pm

wolgade wrote:This should be possible, but it's just another blender addon that needs maintenance when Blender API changes. Remember the trouble we had with old MHX?

Yes, this is a real problem.

Although the current set of blendertools (makeclothes/maketarget) have survived for quite some time now. The api for blender 2.7x is probably very stable atm, but everything is likely to become horribly broken with blender 2.8.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Return to User contributions