Material setup for diamond ring 01

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Material setup for diamond ring 01

Postby wolgade » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:46 pm

How to make http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/diamond_ring_01.html shine:

I assume that MHX2 is used for Blender import.

This is what the ring looks like after import:
img1.jpg
img1.jpg (24.68 KiB) Viewed 33381 times
Would you pay for this piece of plastic?

Select the ring and remove the subsurface modifier if there is any. The metal part of the ring is already subdivided. The diamond must't be subdivided.

Append the gold and diamond materials from the attached blend file to your file.
img2.png
There are two materials for the diamond you can choose from.

Assign the gold material to the ring. Add a second material slot, assign the diamond material to this slot.

Tab to edit mode, select a diamond vertice and press Ctrl-l to select linked.
Assign the selected vertices to the second material slot. Set shading to flat faces.
img3.jpg

Now it looks this way
img4.jpg
img4.jpg (30.15 KiB) Viewed 33381 times
Attachments
ring_material.blend
(710.13 KiB) Downloaded 2292 times
wolgade

Re: Material setup for diamond ring 01

Postby punkduck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 am

"Diamonds are a girls best friend."

You make my model Evi really happy which such a good looking asset. And it is very convincing, so I waited for the rendered picture until 1'o clock in the morning just to present the happy girl directly to the MH audience :D

evi_diamond.jpg

5 stars, of course :mrgreen:
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:15 am

Nice render. I'm glad you like this little asset. BTW: It was extremely easy to model. If you have a look at the ring in the blender file containing the material, you'll realize that it's pretty basic. The diamond is even more basic. You just have to enable the extra objects in Blender.
wolgade

Postby loki1950 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:24 am

Like your custom node set for the ring metal but much simpler to just use the anisotropic BSDF shader the same as recommended for the nose-ring :D of course the gold colour must also be given.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby wolgade » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:52 am

loki1950 wrote:Like your custom node set for the ring metal

This wasn't done by me. I used http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/56470. The material is called "metal_Jewelry_gold_G" in this library.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:30 pm

wolgade wrote:Nice render. I'm glad you like this little asset. BTW: It was extremely easy to model. If you have a look at the ring in the blender file containing the material, you'll realize that it's pretty basic. The diamond is even more basic. You just have to enable the extra objects in Blender.

I know, it is the gem add-on, I've made the earrings in this picture

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/download/file.php?id=3649&mode=view

with exactly the same method. But I had the same problems, flat and smooth shading, at least two materials etc. So I wrote the better way would be giving it away as .blend file. But in this case I've to add the story about to put this earring on the head-vertexgroup. And even then gravity forces the earring in one direction (downwards :ugeek: ). So I haven't done it. But now, when people downloading the ring, why not adding this thing as an asset also. Okay the gravity problem will stay, so do not do a handstand ;)
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:40 pm

punkduck wrote:I know, it is the gem add-on, I've made the earrings in this picture

Damn. I never noticed the ear-rings. That's the story about good looking women. You realize that they look great, but you completely disregard the reasons why.
And even then gravity forces the earring in one direction (downwards)

That's the reason why I made my ear-rings the way I did. I'm aware that they are limited to women with short hair. Ear-rings that are visible on long-haired women need to react to gravity. That's beyond what MC can deal with. It's something that could and should be done in Blender using some kind of simulation.
why not adding this thing as an asset also.

Of course. As long as the head is up, everything's fine.
wolgade

Postby MTKnife » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:58 pm

I guess the earrings use the same materials from the blend file? I noticed there are no diffuse textures on the assets pages.
MTKnife

Postby MTKnife » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:13 pm

OK, to solve my own problem...I imported the ring and earring OBJ's into Blender, appended the materials, added some lighting, and baked diffuse textures that look perfectly fine in MH. Note you'll need to overwrite the old ring texture, and that the two earrings PNG's are the same file, with different names--that way there's no need to edit the MHMAT's.

Remember, for purposes of making MH assets, baking is your friend! It lets you combine multiple textures into a single one, among other things. And it works just fine for something as tiny as jewelry (on that note, the 1024x1024 PNG's used here are probably excessive).
Attachments
diamond_ear-ring_r_01_diffuse.png
diamond_ear-ring_l_01_diffuse.png
diamond_ring_01_diffuse.png
MTKnife

Postby wolgade » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:19 pm

MTKnife wrote:I guess the earrings use the same materials from the blend file? I noticed there are no diffuse textures on the assets pages.

You're right. I really thought I had provided them. And yes, they use same material.
MTKnife wrote:for purposes of making MH assets, baking is your friend! It lets you combine multiple textures into a single one, among other things.

Forgive me if I got you wrong, but my aim is not to make things look good in MH. To be honest, I don't give a damn about it. I create a material file that gets accepted by MH. I'm only interested in Blender renders with Cycles. Baking reflections and refraction is probably a very good idea when it comes to game engines. I dont think that it's a good idea for anything else, because reflections and refraction depend on the lighting.
wolgade

Next

Return to User contributions