Makehuman, Python, and LOD

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Makehuman, Python, and LOD

Postby falican » Wed May 14, 2008 3:28 am

Hi,

I am currently evaluating MakeHuman for use in our tool chain. The intended use is to create real-time meshes and normal maps for use in an opengl/directx application. Generating the normal map should be straight forward given the high quality of the mesh MakeHuman currently produces. A cursory glance over the code suggests the meshes are stored as subdivision surfaces which depending on the detail of the control mesh may make it easy to produce a lower quality mesh than the one currently exported by the Collada Exporter. I am looking at 5k polygons max per character, which is significantly less than the 41k polygons that the collada exporter currently produces. Naturally there is no need for the genitals, bone structure and other internals (which were included in the 41k polygon figure), so how hard will it be to remove these on export?

Pointers from developers on getting a start on this, especially the reduction of LOD would speed things along greatly but I don't expect the job to be done for us.

Any code we build would mostly be in python and would definitely be contributed back to the project as the plan is to distribute the tool to our users. I'd also like to say that my management is very hot on the idea of using MakeHuman as am I, we are very impressed with the quality of both the tool and (very importantly) code base.

Thanks!
falican

Re: Makehuman, Python, and LOD

Postby Manuel » Mon May 19, 2008 9:20 am

falican wrote:
Any code we build would mostly be in python and would definitely be contributed back to the project as the plan is to distribute the tool to our users. I'd also like to say that my management is very hot on the idea of using MakeHuman as am I, we are very impressed with the quality of both the tool and (very importantly) code base.

Thanks!

You know next MakeHuman version (we are working hard on it) is 99% in python, and fully modular, right :) ?
Manuel

Postby falican » Tue May 20, 2008 12:34 am

Manuel wrote:You know next MakeHuman version (we are working hard on it) is 99% in python, and fully modular, right :) ?

Sure do! Was very happy to read that! Any answers to my questions by any chance?
falican

Postby Manuel » Tue May 20, 2008 2:41 pm

falican wrote:
Manuel wrote:You know next MakeHuman version (we are working hard on it) is 99% in python, and fully modular, right :) ?

Sure do! Was very happy to read that! Any answers to my questions by any chance?

Actually all resources are busy with new version.
It will be organized entirely as python plugins, so, jus after the core will be ready, will be relatively easy to write a couple of plugins to add the features you have requested above.

Ciao,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby falican » Wed May 21, 2008 1:17 am

Manuel wrote:Actually all resources are busy with new version.
It will be organized entirely as python plugins, so, jus after the core will be ready, will be relatively easy to write a couple of plugins to add the features you have requested above.

Ciao,

Manuel

Not a problem I understand :)

What sort of time frame are you looking at for that release and where would one find tasks needing attention? I am quite busy at the moment but getting my hands dirty with the project would be a good start!

Seeya!
falican

Return to User contributions