WIP Asset - MakeHuman Medallion

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

WIP Asset - MakeHuman Medallion

Postby DredNicolson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:30 am

A medallion/pendant of the MH logo. Several different Curve objects were used to trace the logo and create the backing and neck strap. The curves were then beveled, converted, and joined into a single Mesh object. Flat areas of 2D curves are filled with Ngons, so when converted to meshes those areas are always a big mess. I spent a good couple hours matching topology (retopology on flat surfaces--it's a thing!) to eliminate shading artifacts. (Lousy Topology = Lousy Shading)

And before you ask, I know there's a bit too much gloss on the neck-strap. I set up the specular shader and map to emphasize the highlights on the medallion so it would actually look somewhat like metal inside MH. :| The normal map attempts to simulate "distressed" metal and make the specular glints more interesting. Disable it for a "pristine" medallion. Edge creasing is used to maintain the shape of the logo when using Subsurf. These creases aren't exported back to MH, so using MH's built-in subsurf will distort the logo.

While technically finished, I'm calling it a WIP because I've yet to bring it into MH in a useable state. I can run it through MakeClothes without any errors, but always with funky deformations and uneven scaling. What makes it even more difficult is that its an object with both deforming and rigid geometry. I plan to experiment with new fitting groups later, but for now I'll put the files here so you guys don't have to wait. :D Assume the same license as my other clothes assets (CCBY).

makehuman_medallion-wip.zip (Contains .blend file and 3 texture images.)
DredNicolson

Re: WIP Asset - MakeHuman Medallion

Postby punkduck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:42 pm

Hmm,

Using other vertex groups besides of left, mid, right will produce better results. But deformation is still there. If you play around with the "teddy" lingerie asset you see what happens:

the 3 rings in front are build on 3 extra groups ring1, ring2, ring3. I had to create the same groups on the human and assign at least one vertex (I took the nearest I found).

But even then you will get the problem, but it improved.

Btw.: It is a good idea to have some more jewelry ...

Same topic: Milkman ask me to do some glasses, well I start yesterday and I'm still working on it. But I do not know if that is really good for MH, but I will try a makeclothes on it.

When I leave it in Blender, I can put it on my girls, create a vertex group named "head" put all vertices of the glasses in this group with value 1 and here we go ... exporting and re-importing it does not make much sense for me ...

So the blend-file is better in this case as you've done it :D
punkduck

Postby joepal » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:53 pm

Not saying it'll work or even be helpful in these cases, but did you play around with "*" groups? If you make a vertex group called for example "*ring", those vertices will scale symetrically instead of deforming. Or at least that's the theory. But I guess that has problems of its own when used in combination with other vertices which do deform.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby punkduck » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:42 pm

joepal wrote:Not saying it'll work or even be helpful in these cases, but did you play around with "*" groups? If you make a vertex group called for example "*ring", those vertices will scale symetrically instead of deforming. Or at least that's the theory. But I guess that has problems of its own when used in combination with other vertices which do deform.

Not yet, but for the new glasses I tried ... it works. If you will not select exactly 3 vertices on the body the tool is complaining in a real weird manner :mrgreen: (sometimes it is good that I'm a programmer also :lol: )

Btw.: Did I overread these things or did I look at wrong place in the wiki?!

I will upload the teddy again (mhclo & obj or mhclo only ...), if the result really improves ...

So thanks for the help.
punkduck

Postby joepal » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:09 pm

I just posted an experiment here: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... sword.html

The docs touching this approach for creating rigid groups could use some love. Probably the entire medallion tutorial should be rewritten from scratch.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby punkduck » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:45 pm

joepal wrote:I just posted an experiment here: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... sword.html

The docs touching this approach for creating rigid groups could use some love. Probably the entire medallion tutorial should be rewritten from scratch.

Yupp for sure, but this was the best information I got. :D

I uploaded the brazilian bikini with some gimmicks(?) made from plastic and brass which should not deformed and the straps and cups which should be deformed of course.

Now it fits on all my girls, and even if you have to do some manipulations after you imported the clothes into blender, try e.g. to make a sphere from something asymmetrical manually, it is nearly impossible. But now the sphere stays a sphere in the complete workflow. And this is really great.

So a big "thank you" again from my side!
punkduck

Postby rlocatelli » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Beautiful piece! It makes me think: what about MH site sell t shirts, bumper stickers, coffee mugs etc? Blender Foundation does this. It's time to think about it..
Book publisher, book cover creator, 3d modeller
rlocatelli

Postby stereoman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi guys.
I´m absolutely unable to understand what are you talking about.
So, whats the point to enter such a discussion?
I have some jewels assets that can contribute to community.
I have the obj. meshes with materials, but this is all, I don´t know Blender nor the way its sychronized with MH, know nothing about MakeClothes, and as I said, I can´t understand a single word of the processes you talk about.
That is, I´m just a modeler and most of you seem to be programmers or talk about programming stuff.
So, my question is, what should I do?
stereoman

Postby joepal » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:06 pm

It depends a bit on how much time you're willing to put into understanding the MakeClothes tool. There's no magic in it, most of it concerns modeling and then pushing a few buttons in the correct order.

For a gentle introduction to MakeClothes, I'd recommend VScorpianC's tutorials, for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eskfzfU4NsI

On top of that, the information in http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... ng_a_sword is relevant for hard stuff such as jewelry.

Or you could post a .blend or .obj file here and see if someone is willing to pipe it through MakeClothes.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby stereoman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi, many thanks, Joepal, after taking a look to the links I have a better idea of the workflow involved, don´t seem too difficult.
My problem is time, there´s not enough of it to do all I have in mind, so each second counts.
So my best chance is to find someone able to do it here in the community, I have lots of assets, and while there´s no problem with one or two, it will take longer with 10 or more.
I will try to gather all the stuff and find the right guy with another thread, many thanks.
stereoman

Next

Return to User contributions