Where do I put the assets

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Where do I put the assets

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:24 am

MTKnife wrote: I'm also wondering if it is possible to take a .png image from any source and cut and paste that into the MHMAT file and have that work?

MTKnife wrote:That's pretty simple: there's no place in the repository to put such files. Actually, there's no place in the repo for texture files either, which is why they're uploaded into other slots, but having to find slots for two files for each extra material would compound the problem, and making and editing a copy of the original MHMAT is easy.

frankyaye though provides links in his descriptions to ZIP files with all the extra files, and Joel has talked about adding a section especially for extra mats.

Thanks for this information. Yes, it is easy, once you know how. It is not easy for somebody new to this who is working without any instructions or guidance telling them that creating new material files and modifying the code is necessary in the first place. The repository "appears" to be a place to come and download ready made clothes and skins etc... and it is not self evident that one would have to create special folders and modify code within MHMAT files or figure out, in some cases, how to create the necessary thumbs.

What about the other question nestled within the last one? (See top quote)
Fred Astair

Postby MTKnife » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:54 am

I never said the program was simple, but that the reason for not uploading extra MHMAT files is (and it is quite simple). MH is not a polished tool meant for the average computer user: the expectation is that you'll poke around and figure things out--and ask here when that doesn't work. It's not that the community is made up of a bunch of snooty geeks who look down on the less technically capable, but that adding polish and good documentation requires time and effort that's usually not available from volunteer labor.

Using your own PNG probably won't work right, since the texture has to match the clothing object's UV map, though you could use the original texture as a template in GIMP or another image editor. I don't think MH's native materials editor provides a way to map a repeated pattern onto a piece of clothing (Blender does, but that doesn't do you much good without a UV map you can upload to Blender), but I could be wrong.
MTKnife

Postby Fred Astair » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:18 am

MTKnife wrote:I never said the program was simple, but that the reason for not uploading extra MHMAT files is (and it is quite simple). MH is not a polished tool meant for the average computer user: the expectation is that you'll poke around and figure things out--and ask here when that doesn't work. It's not that the community is made up of a bunch of snooty geeks who look down on the less technically capable, but that adding polish and good documentation requires time and effort that's usually not available from volunteer labor.

Don't make the assumption that I'm talking about myself here. I do understand how to change the code in the MHMAT file to point to the other materials. I figured that out for myself when I was trying to troubleshoot your skirt that didn't work. I saw that you had an incomplete name for the material in that MHMAT file, although that didn't fix the larger issue, which you ultimately ended up doing yourself. I know full well how MH is put together team wise, as I have been a volunteer for the past year or so, and I have spent many "volunteer" hours writing and editing the documentation here, as that was the task asked of me. However, I have been told by Manuel to ask questions when I don't fully understand the hows and whys of a situation such as this one so that I can contribute something that is clear and finished and comprehensible to the average user. MH is striving to create a system whereby a model can be created with relative ease without having to delve into the intricacies of programming or modelling or computer science. It is true that it is meant to be used to create a "starting point" model that some advanced users and artists might use as a base model that they then expand upon, however, it is also meant to be able to create quick and simple and complete models that can be used 'as is' for a number of other purposes. In that capacity, the program needs to be simple and easy to use and nobody using it for that purpose should be "expected poke around and figure things out" themselves and then go to this forum to ask questions that should have been answered to begin with.

The user contribution area is presented in such a way that it "appears" as a catalog of contributions that are ready to simply be downloaded by the visitor. There is no indication up front that the visitor will need to mess around on the forum trying to figure out how to "recode" the MHMAT files for some of the materials, but not others. The fact that some of the items, such as those collars and chains that somebody uploaded work intermittently, confuses the issue, and since there are no clear instructions available, (the one that tells us what to do now that they're downloaded is quite incomplete), the visitor is forced, quite unnecessarily, to spend many an hour trying to figure out if they are the one making a mistake, or if the uploader simply uploaded some kind of incomplete crap that doesn't work, and can't be made to work by the end user, but only by the originator, who has dumped their contribution in the catalog and never bothered to return to read the feedback comments to find out that the thing doesn't work. It's even stated in the comments area that the end user shouldn't expect that anybody is bothering to read what they have to say.

What I am advocating is some clear information on this very simple page of contributions where there is no need for each and every "new to the contributions area visitor" to invest hours trying to understand how to use the contributions. There should also be a very good and clear way to insure that all of the contributions are "vetted", perhaps by a feed back button where the visitor can mark the item as "not working" or perhaps simply Joel checking out each item that's uploaded to see if it actually works (not loading at all is pretty easy to identify and takes only minutes). It wouldn't take someone like Joel very long to go through the catalog of current items and test them and delete those that are incomplete or don't work. He could check new entries on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and in a matter of minutes toss out the crap that doesn't work. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why your skirt didn't work and in the end it was only you who could fix your own error and I had to send you a PM before you knew about it. I just tried those collars earlier today and the solid one doesn't work at all and the chain one works intermittently, applying itself to the model seemingly at random when it is picked, regardless of whether or not I try it on the stable version or the nightly. Those items should be tested by Joel and then pulled if he is getting the same results. There is no reason to leave them in the catalog for the next sucker who thinks that they actually work to download and spend hours on them only to find that they were junk uploads to begin with that they don't work. Perhaps you enjoy "poking around and asking questions", and that's fine, but I prefer to save that effort for "necessary learning". The same is true for pulling all the flaky items that have been uploaded already because unless this catalog of contributions is kept clean of the junk, nobody will want to use it anymore and then what was the point in setting it up to begin with? There is no value in having a great looking skirt or pair of shoes or some other item if the uploaded files are nonfunctional. That's why I originally gave your skirt a low score. It looked great in the sample image, but it didn't work, and that made it worthless. Unfortunately, there was no "button" available to send you any feedback about the problem.
Fred Astair

Postby joepal » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:58 pm

Well, my intention all along has been to get a community going with the hope that it would self-regulate via comments and ratings. I don't want to check or moderate contributions. Primarily because I already spend a disproportionate time on what is a hobby which does not have any economic benefit whatsoever, nor any synergy with what I do otherwise. But also because moderating would make me implicitly responsible for the quality of the contributions in the area. Which I don't want to be.

I would rather provide better tools for letting the community evaluate and moderate the areas. Researching how to let users assign keywords is on my todo list. But I'm open for other suggestions.

The warning above the comment area I felt I had to add since people posted completely random support requests on makehuman and blender in general as comments on unrelated pages instead of making forum posts. But also because relevant comments on user contributions went unanswered for weeks.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Fred Astair » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:39 pm

joepal wrote:Well, my intention all along has been to get a community going with the hope that it would self-regulate via comments and ratings. I don't want to check or moderate contributions. Primarily because I already spend a disproportionate time on what is a hobby which does not have any economic benefit whatsoever, nor any synergy with what I do otherwise. But also because moderating would make me implicitly responsible for the quality of the contributions in the area. Which I don't want to be.

I know that you work hard and that you too are volunteering Joel. The problem is that you are the only one who CAN keep the contributions clean since nobody else has the options available to them. When I first encountered Mknife skirt that was non-functional, the only option I could find to do anything about it was to write a comment in a section that declares up front that nobody will read and to give a poor rating in the hope that Mknife would get some kind of feed back and be alerted to the fact and fix it. I did that for myself, as well as for the next person who downloads it thinking that it works. I didn't know about the option of sending Mknife a PM. Perhaps you could mention that anyone finding an issue with the contribution should send the author a PM instead of just telling everyone that nobody is likely to read any comments they leave? Without any options, people are left to figure out their own ways of solving the issue. Mknife wrote me back telling me that the ratings are for the quality of the clothes only and that I should be using the ratings only for the purpose of rating the quality of his work, and I disagree, because the ratings are the only method currently available to warn others about "every" issue, since it is stated up front that the comments are just dust in the wind and not even the author is likely to read them, and because, since the clothing didn't work, all I had to go on was the photo that he provided, and not the real thing.

joepal wrote:I would rather provide better tools for letting the community evaluate and moderate the areas. Researching how to let users assign keywords is on my todo list. But I'm open for other suggestions.

If you can provide a 5 star rating system once, then why can't you provide more than one? Why can't you have a rating on the quality of the artwork of the piece AND the quality of the download? Perhaps one also for the stability across platforms such as the stable versions and the nightly? I buy stuff from Ebay and in their rating system, which is pretty basic, they have their feedback set up so that you can give a 5 star rating on the speed of delivery, how well the seller kept in touch, how accurate the description of the item was, etc... and at the bottom, there is a box where you get to write any further comments related to rating the seller. Could we not have something set up like that? It would be separate from the comments section that is currently there. I think that something like that would indeed keep the area self regulating because you could set it up so that only registered members could vote and also only one vote per member. When a threshold number of votes saying the item doesn't work is reached, then the item is either automatically purged, or a notification is sent automatically to the author of the item telling them that it has been flagged. You'd have to have a threshold in order to weed out those who simply didn't know how to use it, or downloaded it wrong.

joepal wrote:The warning above the comment area I felt I had to add since people posted completely random support requests on makehuman and blender in general as comments on unrelated pages instead of making forum posts. But also because relevant comments on user contributions went unanswered for weeks.

When I first read that comment I "saw": "the following comment section below is useless and is just here so that you can voice your frustration to the wind since nobody is likely to read what you have to say anyway". I wondered what the point was in even having it. Is there any reason why you can't redirect the comments that are left in this comment area to the main forums? Could you not have a forum set up specifically for the user contributions and have any comments directed or copied into that? There must be a way to mirror them in the main forum. That would also create a home in the forum for the contributions area that currently does not exist. Right now, the only way I can even find the contributions area is to search through the "contests' forum, which is not at all an intuitive place for it to be.
Fred Astair

Postby joepal » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:26 pm

You bring up many good points. I'll want to answer this properly, rather than after a quick read through while sneaking away with my phone for a second during the xmas holidays ( :-) ). So it might take a few days, but it's not because I'm ignoring the thread.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Fred Astair » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:39 pm

joepal wrote:You bring up many good points. I'll want to answer this properly, rather than after a quick read through while sneaking away with my phone for a second during the xmas holidays ( :-) ). So it might take a few days, but it's not because I'm ignoring the thread.

Thanks Joel,

I'm not waiting for you to answer this, I just wanted to say it though, so that it's out there. I'm busy myself with the holidays :) as I expect most of us are. Happy holidays and thanks for listening to me :)

Jon
Fred Astair

Previous

Return to User contributions