Can somebody give me link/downloads for good makehuman hairs

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Can somebody give me link/downloads for good makehuman h

Postby MTKnife » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:30 am

To get the full effect, you're going to need to add children (the strands you actually comb are the parents--you probably won't be rendering them, since they won't include any curl or wave you add to the children).

Here's a good video tutorial on particle hair (I despise video tutorials, because they're so slow compared to reading, but this is a decent one--though I confess I only watched Part 3, which was about rendering using the internal engine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpLaxqemFU0
MTKnife

Postby joepal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:02 am

Fred Astair wrote:Not having much luck with this Joe.

I had to uncheck that emitter box mentioned because changing the name to "invis" didn't eliminate the original hair.

As you can see, I did manage to attach the hair to my model, but it is nowhere near as full as the original, although the color seems to be partly there...

You missed the very important step to actually use the particle system that was appended. You need to change "settings" in the top of the particle panel to "hair" which is the name of the particle system I had assigned to the mesh in the blend linked above.

attach5.png
You must use the "hair" particle settings

Maybe I should have named it "hairsettings" or something. There's a bit too many things named "hair" there now. :-)

"Invis" is the name of an existing material. You should replace the first material of the mesh with the material already called "invis".

While it's correct as mentioned above that you can instead tick a box, the particlesettings in the blend file are currently using the second material assigned to the mesh as material for the strands. So the "hair" material needs to be the second one.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Fred Astair » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:59 pm

joepal wrote:
You missed the very important step to actually use the particle system that was appended.

See, now this is confusing Joe, in the instructions you say this:

* On the mesh hair on your own model, do the following:
-- Change default material to "invis"
-- Add a new material and pick the "hair" which should now be available

When I go to the the mesh hair on my own model, there is nothing that says "invis" and there is no particle option for it.
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi Joe,

Ok, so I have found out that the reason that I cannot find "invis" is because I used one of the short hair styles. When I tried it with the ponytail just now, invis showed up in the options for materials. It must not come with all of the hairstyles.
Fred Astair

Postby joepal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:43 pm

*Confused*...

The following should have been imported if you "appended" my hair model from the blend that was attached previously:

* A mesh hair called "hairdo"
* A material called "invis"
* A material called "hair"
* A particle system setting called "hair"

The materials and settings should be possible to apply to any mesh no matter the origin. You should be able to create a basic cube and turn it into a furball by adding the materials and the particle system settings.

Reality check though: You *are* working in cycles, right? Cause the hair systems and the materials differ significantly between that and blender internal.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Fred Astair » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:24 pm

joepal wrote:
Reality check though: You *are* working in cycles, right? Cause the hair systems and the materials differ significantly between that and blender internal.

Yep, I'm doing this in cycles.
Invis isn't available until "after" I've created a new material. Your instructions tell me to change it to invis before that...

This is the result when I render in cycles.

Your instructions say...;

* Export a MH model as usual, including the mesh hair model you think fit best with the general layout
* Import in blender
* Do a file->append to import the particle hair model into the scene (you can find a "hair" group under groups folder inside the blend when appending)

I know that my model must be set up with nodes though, so I don't understand how you managed to get yours to render with color just by exporting and importing like that. Aren't you then setting up your models skin etc... at some point?
Attachments
Hair in cycles.jpg
Last edited by Fred Astair on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Astair

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Use MHX-2! Switch to cycles before! import. Have fun!
Aranuvir

Postby Fred Astair » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:50 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Use MHX-2! Switch to cycles before! import. Have fun!

Thanks Aranuvir, you've been a big help again as usual :)

Wow! The render time in cycles is MUCH faster.

Do you know why my model is coming out with all of this noise and the artifacts on her forehead? I'm thinking its probably how my lighting is set up, but you might know different.

I'm almost at the point where I can put the particle hair on her and start experimenting, but it sure would be nice to clean up her skin...

Jon

Edit: I've just made a 4 second animation with this model and the graininess doesn't appear to be on her skin. I just have her head moving around and the graininess stays stationary, so I guess it's nothing to do with the model.
Attachments
cycles skin.jpg
Fred Astair

Postby joepal » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:27 am

Fred Astair wrote:
Aranuvir wrote:Use MHX-2! Switch to cycles before! import. Have fun!

Thanks Aranuvir, you've been a big help again as usual :)

Yeah, sorry. I was using MHX2. So my model already had all materials correctly assigned after import. Until such a point when blender decides to support collada in cycles mode, working via collada is a study in self-punishment for cycles projects.

The dark lines on the forehead looks very strange. I never seen anything like that. Does it happen if you render the character bald? (ie, maybe it's a shadowing artifact?)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby joepal » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:30 am

Looking on the screenshot, I'm kind of curious though: Why are you having 15+ point lights in this scene? That's bound to have a pretty extreme impact on rendering times. It also likely to explain lots of the noise.

Maybe test changing the light setup to two slightly stronger light sources? One sun light source and one spotlight. And maybe environment lighting?

To reduce noise in that setting, enable capping and glossy filtering.

noise.png
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

PreviousNext

Return to User contributions