Can somebody give me link/downloads for good makehuman hairs

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Can somebody give me link/downloads for good makehuman h

Postby Fred Astair » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:50 am

joepal wrote:Attaching a blend with the hairdo. The rest of the scene was just experimental stuff.

To edit, simply mark the hair and enter "particle edit" mode. Then you can comb the hair etc.

samplehair.zip

Thanks for this Joe. I've been wanting to learn about particle hair but I wasn't sure where to start. This gives me a leg up on the basic set up.
I can comb the hair etc... well enough in this blend file, but when I render it I only get a grey image of the hair and no color. I looked at the node set up, is something missing?
I also would like to ask how do I do the next step and attach the hair to a MH model?
Fred Astair

Postby joepal » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:43 am

Note that you cannot render if the model is in particle edit mode. Then you just get something looking like a semi-transparent blob. You have to enter object mode before rendering.

Otherwise I don't know what'd cause it. I just saved the blend without doing anything special, and it worked on my side.

For attaching, I suggest not doing that. Instead, do the following:

* Export a MH model as usual, including the mesh hair model you think fit best with the general layout
* Import in blender
* Do a file->append to import the particle hair model into the scene (you can find a "hair" group under groups folder inside the blend when appending)
* On the mesh hair on your own model, do the following:
-- Change default material to "invis"
-- Add a new material and pick the "hair" which should now be available
* On particles tab
-- Create a new particle system
-- Change "type" to hair
-- Change settings from "particle settings" to "hair" (which should be available after having appended the particle hair model)
* Delete the hair mesh you got when appending

You should now have hair looking like a big fur ball. But it should be combable etc. It's attached to the model and will deform with posing etc.

Note that depending on the scale of the model (if you exported from makehuman with "meter" or "decimeter"), you might have to change the velocity of the emission from the normals to adjust the hair length. You have to do this before starting to comb.

attach1.png
attach1.png (15.37 KiB) Viewed 5015 times

attach3.png

attach4.png

attach5.png

attach6.png
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby joepal » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:55 am

Basically same particle system attached to "ponytail" instead of "long". Note that I significantly shortened both parent and child strands before starting to comb.

hair4.png
hair4.png (120.54 KiB) Viewed 5015 times
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Aethelraed_Unraed » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:07 pm

joepal wrote:Just some random more fiddling. Here I basically applied the same particle system to the "long" mesh instead of on a vertex group of the body.
That is just genius! Why have I never thought of attaching hairs to the MH hair models? I regularly spent an hour or so combing hairs with mediocre results, this got me much better results in a fraction of the time :D

Oh and instead of setting the mesh material to an invisible material, you can also just uncheck the Render->Emitter box in the particle settings ;)
Aethelraed_Unraed

Postby Fred Astair » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:57 pm

joepal wrote:Note that you cannot render if the model is in particle edit mode. Then you just get something looking like a semi-transparent blob. You have to enter object mode before rendering.

Thanks for all this Joe.
I was rendering it in the wrong mode :)

I'm trying what you've described right now and hopefully I'll figure it out and it will work for me too.

I'm wondering, since you mentioned it, although it's on a different topic, I usually import characters in meters for no particular reason. Does this make a difference when it comes to rendering? If I imported them in decimeters, would the hair strands be that much shorter and thus render faster with the same basic quality? I'm wondering why we have this choice between meters and decimeters?
Fred Astair

Postby joepal » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:03 pm

Fred Astair wrote:I'm trying what you've described right now and hopefully I'll figure it out and it will work for me too.

I'm wondering, since you mentioned it, although it's on a different topic, I usually import characters in meters for no particular reason. Does this make a difference when it comes to rendering? If I imported them in decimeters, would the hair strands be that much shorter and thus render faster with the same basic quality?

It just matters on the extreme margin. For hair simulations probably not at all. The render time is more due to number of strands and how many segments they have rather than how long they are.

The only thing scale really does have a significant effect on is light. If you have a point source with a strength of 50, it'll act like a 50 watt bulb if the scale is the MH correspondance of decimeters. However, if you scale up by a factor of ten, the light source will look really dark.

On the other hand cloth simulations work better on a larger scale.

It largely comes down to a matter of preferences.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Fred Astair » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:34 am

[/quote]It largely comes down to a matter of preferences.[/quote]

Thanks Joe, It sounds like it's worth going big and getting the good cloth simulation. It's no big deal to change a point lamp up by a factor of 10.
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:56 am

joepal wrote:Simplistic demo of difference. Particle hair is 10 minutes of modeling plus 5 minutes of rendering. Mesh hair is "long" from MH and 10 seconds of rendering.

hair1.png

Is this a MH model?
I haven't seen any MH models that show the collar bones like this...
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:29 am

joepal wrote:* On the mesh hair on your own model, do the following:
-- Change default material to "invis"

Do I just rename it to "invis", or is there some option called "invis" that I should be clicking on?
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:24 am

Not having much luck with this Joe.

I had to uncheck that emitter box mentioned because changing the name to "invis" didn't eliminate the original hair.

As you can see, I did manage to attach the hair to my model, but it is nowhere near as full as the original, although the color seems to be partly there...
Attachments
Thin Hair.jpg
Fred Astair

PreviousNext

Return to User contributions