Can somebody give me link/downloads for good makehuman hairs

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Can somebody give me link/downloads for good makehuman h

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi Fred,

there is not much to ad to Joel's explanation about the noise problem. Perhaps increase the rate of samples. You could also use mesh lighting. There are plenty tutorials on youtube about cycles. Search for Andrew Price (= blenderguru.com), for high(est) quality tutorials.

Looking at your armature tab, it seems you imported the model with the override option. When you leave the "import human type" on "both", you get the base- and proxy-mesh imported, intersecting each other. That might cause this dark lines. Look up your outliner if there is a XXX:body mesh and XXX:proxy mesh. Delete one of them, this should solve your issue.
Aranuvir

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:12 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Hi Fred,

there is not much to ad to Joel's explanation about the noise problem. Perhaps increase the rate of samples. You could also use mesh lighting. There are plenty tutorials on youtube about cycles. Search for Andrew Price (= blenderguru.com), for high(est) quality tutorials.

Looking at your armature tab, it seems you imported the model with the override option. When you leave the "import human type" on "both", you get the base- and proxy-mesh imported, intersecting each other. That might cause this dark lines. Look up your outliner if there is a XXX:body mesh and XXX:proxy mesh. Delete one of them, this should solve your issue.

Thanks Aranuvir,

I'm sure that the graininess is a lighting/scene issue. I'm familiar with Andrew's you tube (blender guru) slot and I have been subscribed to him for a long while now. I seem to recall he has a video specifically about lighting, and also ones for using portals to speed up rendering that has a great explanation about how light bounce causes the noise and how to minimize it. I'll be revisiting his videos about cycles now that you've shown me how to import the models so that they render in cycles. I have been using MHX2 since it came out, but I didn't know to import the models while in cycles mode, and since I thought MH models don't work in cycles, I've never tried. Previously, until just yesterday actually, I'd believed that the MH models skins simply don't work in cycles. I was even searching here for that very thing just a few weeks ago to see if anything had changed. I didn't find anything about it. Because of this I have been working only in Blender Render mode and that is why my set up is (was) the way it was.

I know about the effects of both meshes occupying the same space and the skins overlapping. That wasn't the case with this one. After moving the model (pose mode), the black marks disappeared. Not sure what that was all about.

One thing that I don't understand is that after eliminating ALL the point lights in the outliner, the models still have light. Where is that light coming from? Are they emitting it themselves? If so, how can I increase it, because they are a bit dark?

Thanks for all your help and advise. Discovering that the models can be used in cycles so easily, coupled with Joe's wonderful particle hair, and this amazing increase in render times, has opened a lot of new doors for me. It was the break through I've been looking for. I've spent the past couple of weeks researching parts to build myself a faster computer because rendering a single frame used to take 5 minutes minimum and now it takes 10 seconds! That makes it much easier to experiment with lighting and other things I'm trying to get the hang of and now I can wait on the computer :)

Jon
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:28 pm

joepal wrote:Looking on the screenshot, I'm kind of curious though: Why are you having 15+ point lights in this scene? That's bound to have a pretty extreme impact on rendering times. It also likely to explain lots of the noise.

Thanks Joe,

I had been using MHX2 but I didn't know that things had changed and that MH models would work in Cycles, if you import them while in Cycles render mode. I thought we were still in the dark ages with that and that the models only worked in Blender render mode, and so everything I've ever done with them, and all of my thinking, has been in that mode. In Blender render mode, the models are not self illuminating and so I found that I had to have a great number of lights strung out in my scenes to lighten up shadows. I didn't know that lighting has such a big impact on render times and kind of assumed that more light would actually speed things up and make nicer scenes. I understand now that I have my work cut out for me to catch up with you guys regarding how to use Cycles with MH and the associated lighting methods, and I'll be making my future scenes that way. I really appreciate this hair that you've so kindly donated. I'm the kind of guy who does best working backward to see how what you've made is put together, and learn from that, rather than starting out from scratch and building it, at least with regards to particle hair. I still haven't quite figured out the hair yet, I find that that "invis" material requires me clicking back and forth a few times between the same few material and particle options before it suddenly becomes available. Maybe that's just a quirk with Blender 2.76? I don't know, but it does eventually appear and then I get to move forward.

Thanks again for all of your help Joe :)
Fred Astair

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:52 pm

The light is coming from the world. You can change the colour and brightness in the world settings. Often the colour is set to black, then you need other light sources. Our you can ad an environment texture (HDR-Image) to the world for lighting. Search for Greg Zaal about this.

Yes, Thomas did an awesome job with MHX-2. It has so many great features. And there have been tests for a skin shader. Hopefully he is continuing the work on it...

Ceterum censeo it is a great pity MHX-2 has been dropped from MH ...

BTW, Blender 2.76b is out.
Aranuvir

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Aranuvir wrote:The light is coming from the world. You can change the colour and brightness in the world settings. Often the colour is set to black, then you need other light sources. Our you can ad an environment texture (HDR-Image) to the world for lighting. Search for Greg Zaal about this.

Yes, Thomas did an awesome job with MHX-2. It has so many great features. And there have been tests for a skin shader. Hopefully he is continuing the work on it...

Ceterum censeo it is a great pity MHX-2 has been dropped from MH ...

BTW, Blender 2.76b is out.

Is there an improvement with 2.76b over 2.76?

I'm using MHX2 ver.26 Is that the latest one?
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks Aranuvir,

I like that we now get expressions and poses :)
Fred Astair

Postby joepal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:47 am

Aranuvir wrote:Ceterum censeo it is a great pity MHX-2 has been dropped from MH ...

MHX2 was never in MH to begin with. What was there was the old MHX, which was a different animal.

As far as I gather both Thomas and the MH crew are happy with the division. It gives Thomas the freedom to implement whatever he wants without having to adhere to development cycles or code restrictions in MH, and from MH's side it makes the overall code less complex to maintain.

All in all, the general direction is to outsource as much as possible from the core MH project. That is part of the motivation for the user contrib assets: it makes no sense to have a mega-blob with extra everything in the core distro, when people can just as well pick and mix among external assets and plugins (ok, it's "plugin" in singular atm since MHX2 is pretty much it, but that might change in the future).
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:13 am

Hi Joel,

I still can't get this to work.

The "invis" does not show up as an option to apply to the models own hair when I import a model with the expressions using MHX2.
It does show up if it is imported as a very basic model.

However, the hair, once applied as per your instructions, is unmanageable. Below is the hair combed in particle mode, which "seems" to work fine,
but in the next post you'll see that the actual hair strands are huge and can't be combed....
Attachments
Can't comb 1.jpg
Last edited by Fred Astair on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:14 am

Here is how that "combed" hair looks when rendered...

The hair strands are as thick as crab legs...
Attachments
Can't comb 2.jpg
Fred Astair

PreviousNext

Return to User contributions