Game ready Low Poly Proxy with UV unwrap

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Game ready Low Poly Proxy with UV unwrap

Postby Rorkimaru » Sat May 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Hey, I read that you guys needed a low poly proxy that was a bit more suited to game use than the generated proxy you have included with alpha 5.

I know nothing about how to get files in and working in Make Human but you guys said making the model was the sticking point so I figured that I'd make a low poly model for you and then you guys could do the fancy magic to make it deform with your sliders and all that. My proxy weighs about 770 faces (~1480 tris) and is UV unwrapped. It does have the odd triangle in the mesh but in the interest of polycount I decided it was worth it instead of spamming loops all over the place. Also, since there is an eternal debate running about the best way to do knee and elbow joints at this resolution I left it so a quick cut will set the joints to whatever method the user prefers.

Download the blend file here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zmfyhm2jkmz
I Rorkimaru aka Rory Michael O'Sullivan release this model to the MakeHuman team to use, alter, redistribute and/or throw in the trash as they see fit

the file has my low poly version of your base mesh and the base mesh as it was imported in case you need it for matching up size or something weird like that.

Also, since the internet doesn't believe anything that doesn't have pictures here is a picture with wires and a picture using a normal map:
The normals on the hands and feet look a bit odd but it is just a straight bake and given the level of detail normals at that res are never going to bake perfect. The one in the front is the low poly in the comparison shot (I know it's obvious but I may as well say it...)

Rorkimaru

Re: Game ready Low Poly Proxy with UV unwrap

Postby Manuel » Sat May 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi Michael,
thanks a lot! In next days I'll do some experiments with your mesh, to see how it react to different characters.
Probably have only one mesh type is not sufficient. I expect we will need at least a female and a male version. Anyway we will see the result of the experiments. I'll post the results here.
Best Regards,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby Rorkimaru » Sat May 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Manuel wrote:Hi Rory ;) ,
thanks a lot! In next days I'll do some experiments with your mesh, to see how it react to different characters.
Probably have only one mesh type is not sufficient. I expect we will need at least a female and a male version. Anyway we will see the result of the experiments. I'll post the results here.
Best Regards,

Manuel

Ah yeah, I know from my own UniHuman project that one mesh generally won't do the job at this resolution but its modeled on your most basic model so I think it will work quite well in a lot of cases but feel free to chop and change it or even junk it if you don't want to use it. I just had some free time and Low Poly exports is my most wanted feature from MakeHuman so I threw it together.
Rorkimaru

Postby ThomasL » Mon May 17, 2010 8:24 am

Rorkimaru, thanks for your help. I will put it into the mhx file soon.
ThomasL

Return to User contributions