C++ partial port

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

C++ partial port

Postby Marenz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:25 pm

Greetings,

I plan to create a library for all kinds of procedural content creation, real-time and ahead.
The idea is, to allow a single programmer to realize his ideas with the help of a modler and still
have decent nice looking content.

To start this library, I searched for what is already there. And makehuman is one of the things
that is already :)

I would port makehuman excluding its GUI to a c++ library and provide a clean c-api to create a human model.

My question to you is, would you use such a library, e.g. in form of a python module in makehuman
for speedup?

--Marenz
Marenz

Re: C++ partial port

Postby joepal » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Marenz wrote:I would port makehuman excluding its GUI to a c++ library and provide a clean c-api to create a human model.

I might have got this wrong since I'm not one of the devs, but from my understanding, the whole point with the current branch was to go the opposite way. The previous branch (0.9.x) was written in c++, while the current branch (1.0.0) has been switched over to python.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby mflerackers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:19 am

No Joel, you're correct :). Makehuman used to be C++ (well, the very early version was a python module for blender), but the lack of dedicated C++ developers held back the project too much, since the modelers can code python, but are "afraid" of native languages (just the word pointer sends shivers down their spine). So the new version only has a dedicated object renderer and minimal event queue in C, all the rest is python. I'm a C++ developer myself (I develop the C part) and I must say that prototyping and adding new things is much faster in python than doing the same in C++, even though I sometimes have to spend quite some time optimizing python code to keep everything fluid.
To answer your question, they will probably not like it, as they can't work on it themselves, and they can't maintain it if the people knowing C++ would leave again like they did before.
What would help game developers more I think is modules to decimate (simplify) the mesh or exporters to game formats, as technically they will be able to use makehuman inside a game by using mh as a module.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby Marenz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 am

Oh, i didn’t know that there was a c++ branch. Is it still available? the branches folder in the svn seems empty to me.

having mh as a module is a nice idea, but i wouldn’t want to burden the user with a dependency like python just to
use mh.
Additionally, i don’t know how easy it would be to interface with python from c.

I was wondering if could bring that old c++ branch in sync with the current and then start makeing it more modular, splitting it up
in libraries that provide related functions (static and dynamic librarys that is).

--Marenz
Marenz

Postby mflerackers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:37 am

It's easier to just write something from scratch I think, as everything has been changed since then.
MakeHuman project Developer
mflerackers

Postby jcapco » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:11 pm

or use a python wrapper :ugeek:
jcapco

Postby joepal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Marenz wrote:Oh, i didn’t know that there was a c++ branch. Is it still available? the branches folder in the svn seems empty to me.

The old code is still available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/makehuman/files/
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to User contributions