Suggest a pose

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Suggest a pose

Postby joepal » Tue May 19, 2015 3:00 pm

If we ever implement a standard set of utility poses (and I'm not saying we will, but if we do...), what poses would you want to have access to out of the box? The current poses are more aimed at testing extreme deformations than at being useful in practice.

Please also indicate if you think the pose is crucial, useful or just amusing. :-)

Me, I'd think

• Sitting on chair (crucial)
  • Standing idle (crucial)
  • Sitting on floor (useful)
  • Standing modest (useful) (ie holding hands/arms in front of important parts so that we don't have to add censorship blur and similar)
  • Sleeping in bed (useful)
  • Heroic archer (amusing)
  • Lying dead (amusing)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Suggest a pose

Postby zoiner » Sun May 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Suggestions (some mentioned before)

1. Sitting upright in formal keying pose
2. Lifting poses, as if picking up a box from the ground.

Not sure if this is the right place but re: modesty poses

There are circumstances where I might wish to demonstrate the existance of Makehuman and its usage.

It would be useful if I could have a default pose with simple casual clothes already in place.

[I may be naive here: is it possible to start the program while pointing to a file so it loads a pre-prepared basic figure?]

Zoiner
zoiner

Postby Aranuvir » Sun May 24, 2015 5:53 pm

zoiner wrote:I may be naive here: is it possible to start the program while pointing to a file so it loads a pre-prepared basic figure?

Of course, it's possible. I.e. you can start MakeHuman from cmd-line and hand over a file name as start parameter (makehuman /PATH/TO/DESIRED/FILE/XXX.mhm) On Windows, I think, it should work with a link and hand over the file name in the link. Good luck.
Tested on linux with a full equipped and posed model.
Aranuvir

Postby duststorm » Sun May 24, 2015 8:06 pm

Yes indeed, as Aranuvir explained.
It should also work on OSX and Windows.
In fact, I think you can also use this to associate .mhm files to open with makehuman.exe directly.
You should also be able to drag a .mhm file directly onto makehuman.exe or a shortcut to makehuman, and it should start MH and load the file directly.

I made a short demonstration (note: its an old copy of mh I had lying around on a virtual machine, I didn't spend the time to update it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Ab0UOJZUE
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Aranuvir » Sun May 24, 2015 8:28 pm

... But drag 'n' drop to the gui doesn't work (at least with KDE 5.2/Kubuntu). Would this be a feature?
Aranuvir

Postby duststorm » Sun May 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Aranuvir wrote:... But drag 'n' drop to the gui doesn't work (at least with KDE 5.2/Kubuntu). Would this be a feature?

Yes, that is not implemented. That would be a new feature yes, you can create a ticket on bugtracker.makehuman.org for it.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Aranuvir » Sun May 24, 2015 9:09 pm

Ok, made a feature request, though this isn't high priority to me.

http://bugtracker.makehuman.org/issues/865
Aranuvir

Postby zoiner » Mon May 25, 2015 9:49 am

Aranuvir wrote:Tested on linux with a full equipped and posed model.

Thank you, and others that replied.

This is to confirm that it works. I am using the nighly build on windows as taught by Joel a month or so ago and, from the makeuman\makehuman directory:

\Python27\python.exe makehuman.py \PATH_TO_FILE\xxxxx.mhm

works perfecly.

Ideally I shall launch with a file called "default.mhm" placed in the makeuman\makehuman directory. Been ages since I looked at BAT files but I should be able to generate a simple script to run from the desktop.

:D
zoiner

Postby joepal » Mon May 25, 2015 10:39 am

I wrote a new issue on registering MHM to be opened by MH: http://bugtracker.makehuman.org/issues/867
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby duststorm » Mon May 25, 2015 12:23 pm

zoiner wrote:Been ages since I looked at BAT files but I should be able to generate a simple script to run from the desktop.

You don't even need to make a .bat for it. Just create a shortcut to makehuman.exe and modify the target line in properties.
mh_shortcut_properties.jpg
Modify MH shortcut to automatically open a preset file

It only accepts a certain maximum length, though, so you might need to be original where to locate that file.
"C:\users\documents\makehuman\v1\models\test.mhm" fit the field, but Windows XP users will have to be a bit more creative, as the whole "Documents and Settings" cruft did not fit (who invented that, anyway?).

Note that MH expects a correct absolute path to the file, the screenshot above with only "test.mhm" appended is purely for illustrational purposes. Unless you copy test.mhm into the folder where makehuman.exe is located, you will have to put the full path in the Target line.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Next

Return to User contributions