Suggestion for the wish-list: Photo-mapping.

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Suggestion for the wish-list: Photo-mapping.

Postby KPM » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 am

I just found Make-Human yesterday.

Photoshop CS4 has a very crude feature where it can wrap a 3D object with a 2D photograph. Use this idea as a starting point to something new (I think).

Once I get more proficient both with Blender and MH, I can envision taking a photograph and creating a new 3D humanoid using Make-Hunan to become part of a Blender 3D scene. Unlike Photoshop, this would require using the photograph image as a map to modify the humanoid mesh, creating a new custom one. This could help move Photoshop concepts stuck in the 2D world into the 3D world.

Make-Human looks like a great product with much potential.
KPM

Re: Suggestion for the wish-list: Photo-mapping.

Postby cousteau » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:15 pm

Ok, so the idea is to take some photos of a scene (in this case, a human) and then infer the 3D model that originated the 2D images.
It looks complicated, but I'm sure there are already tons of software and documentation about pattern recognition and 3D recreation. I don't think MakeHuman should do that, but maybe it could be part of a separate tool, such as MakeTarget.

(And it would be waaay easier than those 3D scanners)
cousteau

Re: Suggestion for the wish-list: Photo-mapping.

Postby Manuel » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:16 pm

Well, we are working on this feature too, but it need time.
Manuel

Return to User contributions