Split costumes?

This forum is aimed at user contributions, in the form of assets, side projects, code patches and similar.

Moderator: joepal

Split costumes?

Postby learning » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:54 am

I was just checking new costumes assets in the unstable MH. Those look awesome, but they are also a bit limiting. While I understand the merit of one-piece costumes, I'm kind of missing the ability to pick parts of clothing and their materials separately, i.e. pick pants/shirts/skirts/jackets etc and for each of them pick a material that looks better. Old assets look like materialless ghosts now. Is there any way to get them back?
learning
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Split costumes?

Postby duststorm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:26 am

You can drop them in your home folder, but we will not be shipping them with MH anymore.
MakeHuman™ developer
User avatar
duststorm
 
Posts: 2566
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Split costumes?

Postby learning » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:08 pm

Why not keep both?
learning
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Split costumes?

Postby duststorm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:47 pm

learning wrote:Why not keep both?

To prevent unsuspecting people from causing themselves pain.
People file bug reports that some clothes combinations do not fit perfectly, so we give them reasonable sets where this cannot happen.
We want to present them with some safe options, without requiring them to read through countless forum threads or QA sections.

You can add your own stuff, which implies you know what you're doing.
MakeHuman is designed so you can add your own content, tailored to your needs.


Also, some of the clothes (the ones with no textures) were of such shameful quality that they actually should never have been included with MH in the first place (they were really just tests). I think we did most of you a favor by removing them.
MakeHuman™ developer
User avatar
duststorm
 
Posts: 2566
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Split costumes?

Postby learning » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:09 am

That's a philosophy I really can't agree to. Providing safe options wherever possible is good, but people are entitled to keep their freedom to cause themselves pain if they want to. Treating users like kids and removing features for the reason of being too complicated for them is something that GNOME did and, um… we all know how that story ended :roll:

Also, I take it that the old assets (jeans, shirt, t-shirts etc) were of bad quality? So even if I take them from https://bitbucket.org/mh_clothing/clothes and add back to MH, they'll still be bad? Then I'd rather that somebody took the better quality versions by splitting the sets, cause I sure as hell can't do it myself…
learning
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Split costumes?

Postby duststorm » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:58 am

learning wrote:I take it that the old assets (jeans, shirt, t-shirts etc) were of bad quality?

Those in particular were pretty good, apart from the T-shirts perhaps, where I had made a few mistakes but hey, it was only my first try (unfortunately I have been too busy programming the MakeHuman application so didn't have the time to redo the T-shirts). The new T-shirts that Manuel created are definitely better.
The jeans and shirt have been reused in the new assets.


As I said: MakeHuman makes it easy to add new content, we encourage you to do this, integrate it into your art pipeline, share third party content, ...
We just make a selection of what to include in the release by default.
MakeHuman™ developer
User avatar
duststorm
 
Posts: 2566
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Split costumes?

Postby wolgade » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:34 pm

duststorm wrote:Also, some of the clothes (the ones with no textures) were of such shameful quality that they actually should never have been included with MH in the first place (they were really just tests). I think we did most of you a favor by removing them.

They were simple. Just simple enough to teach me how to get started. If you have a basic t-shirt it's quite easy to create your first dress. This first self-created dress was also of shameful quality of course, but hey, it was my first creation. Having no textures wasn't a problem. A good reason to learn how to uv unwrap and create a texture on my own. A really bad one with seems in the wrong places, a lot of distortion and too low resolution where details were needed.

That's actually how I learned how to use Blender: I played around with MH and the assets, modified them and learned from my mistakes. At least you wouldn't have done me any favor by not releasing the poor quality clothes. The high quality stuff done by Manuel might have discouraged me. The simple stuff was easy to build upon and even easy to improve. That's what kept me motivated.
wolgade
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: Split costumes?

Postby brkurt » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:00 pm

wolgade wrote:
duststorm wrote:Also, some of the clothes (the ones with no textures) were of such shameful quality that they actually should never have been included with MH in the first place (they were really just tests). I think we did most of you a favor by removing them.

They were simple. Just simple enough to teach me how to get started. If you have a basic t-shirt it's quite easy to create your first dress. This first self-created dress was also of shameful quality of course, but hey, it was my first creation. Having no textures wasn't a problem. A good reason to learn how to uv unwrap and create a texture on my own. A really bad one with seems in the wrong places, a lot of distortion and too low resolution where details were needed.

That's actually how I learned how to use Blender: I played around with MH and the assets, modified them and learned from my mistakes. At least you wouldn't have done me any favor by not releasing the poor quality clothes. The high quality stuff done by Manuel might have discouraged me. The simple stuff was easy to build upon and even easy to improve. That's what kept me motivated.


What is needed is documentation on 'best practices' of creating clothes. For example: pants (whether long or short) should be created with legs spread apart in a 'DaVinci' pose, and then uploaded in standard A-Frame. The crotch and inner thigh fit much better that way. ;)
brkurt
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:49 pm

Re: Split costumes?

Postby learning » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:36 am

duststorm wrote:The jeans and shirt have been reused in the new assets.


Yeah, so now I have to ask someone to split them out, cause when I try this myself I fail pretty bad. Also, when I try to use the old assets with unstable MH they don't work, did the format change or something?
learning
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Split costumes?

Postby duststorm » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:29 am

learning wrote:did the format change or something?

No, MH 1.x assets should work.
Check your logs and report a bug if required.
MakeHuman™ developer
User avatar
duststorm
 
Posts: 2566
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 am
Location: Belgium

Next

Return to User contributions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest